General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pflugerville Lake Tri - June 24th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-12 9:38 PM

Austin, TX
Subject: Pflugerville Lake Tri - June 24th
So who all is participating in the Pflugerville Triathlon on June 24th? Looks like it capped out at 350 participants.

It is my first tri and even with it being 12 days away I can't stop thinking about it. All sorts of what ifs jumbling around my brain.

And for those of you who have been up to the race course, I keep wondering where the heck is everyone going to park!

p.s. After the race I'll finally be able to get a race profile picture

2007-06-12 11:23 PM
in reply to: #841954

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Pflugerville Lake Tri - June 24th
I'll be there!!

And I am all sorts of anxious about it. Yes, it did capped at 350 participants and my training partner missed being able to get registered in time. So we're both very disappointed about that. Who the ehck is going to go at 5:30 in the morning and be ther with me to chat and be nervous with ?!??! We have posts here and on Craigslist looking for anyone who may have to drop out - the race director is willing to work with us and OK an offical particpiant change. So if you know anyone who has bailed, please let me know!

I plan on going to check out the course this weekend. Have you biked or ran it? Is either course very hilly? I've ridden in Pflug. many times and while there are some hills, I find that the wind is the biggest factor there.

I'm also doing the Couples Tri on July 17th. I knew the Decker Lake course is hard with hills and it is a longer swim. But I've been training for 800M since Memorial Day so I think I will be ok.

I've not seen any info re: bike check in the day before, etc. Do you think since it is so small that we'll just bring the bikes that morning?

I hope to meet you and others there!
2007-06-13 7:32 AM

Austin
I'll be there...

Brian
2007-06-13 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
I'll also be there.
2007-06-13 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas

I'm in.  Here are my thoughts on the course:

SWIM:  Simple lake swim, however, the end is in a shallow with lots of rocks and the run to transition is on the crushed granite trail (might be tough for tender feet).

BIKE:  The bike course is deceptively hard.  There are not any "hills" but the rolling course has a number of gradual inclines that make the small rollers harder than they should be.  The wind can be a factor as well in the area.  The first third and last third of the course are the hardest.  The middle third is very nice.

RUN:  The run is a simple crushed granite trail around Lake Pflugerville and is dead flat.  The issue for the run will be the heat.  There is no shade on the run. 

Also, with a race this small, you typically bring everything the morning of the race and set-up.   Parking will not be an issue for racers.  It will be for spectators and racers who show-up late.  Overall, I would say this is a good course for beginners, it's harder than CapTex but it's easier than the Austin Danskin site.

Good luck everyone!

2007-06-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #842047

Austin, TX
UTFan - 2007-06-12 11:23 PM

I'll be there!!

And I am all sorts of anxious about it. Yes, it did capped at 350 participants and my training partner missed being able to get registered in time. So we're both very disappointed about that. Who the ehck is going to go at 5:30 in the morning and be ther with me to chat and be nervous with ?!??! We have posts here and on Craigslist looking for anyone who may have to drop out - the race director is willing to work with us and OK an offical particpiant change. So if you know anyone who has bailed, please let me know!

I plan on going to check out the course this weekend. Have you biked or ran it? Is either course very hilly? I've ridden in Pflug. many times and while there are some hills, I find that the wind is the biggest factor there.

I'm also doing the Couples Tri on July 17th. I knew the Decker Lake course is hard with hills and it is a longer swim. But I've been training for 800M since Memorial Day so I think I will be ok.

I've not seen any info re: bike check in the day before, etc. Do you think since it is so small that we'll just bring the bikes that morning?

I hope to meet you and others there!

I will definitely be out there nervously chattering! Hopefully I can reach some sort of zen state and be calm and positive. I'm sorry about your friend, I also had several friends who wanted to sign up especially after CapTexTri was cancelled.

I have biked the course twice, like another poster said there are some rolling hills in the beginning, some slow inclines, there is also an pretty flat part near the end but then again another slow incline which wears me out when I attack it, mainly because there can be some vicious headwind in that area. Not sure if I want to go hard at the end of the ride because I'll want to have something for my legs!

-April

2007-06-13 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Regarding your question on parking:

Volunteers will get to park in the non-paved parking area off Pfluger Ln near the parking lot. Athletes and spectators will park in the grass field behind the dam/parking lot - entering from Weiss Ln.

The best thing about the bike course is the nice sweet, fast downhill along Pfluger Lane into the finish. I don't think you need to "save" anything on the bike because the run is so flat.

I'll be there as a volunteer. Good luck on your first!
2007-06-13 11:09 PM
in reply to: #843593

Austin, TX
tinkerbell57 - 2007-06-13 10:42 PM

Regarding your question on parking:

Volunteers will get to park in the non-paved parking area off Pfluger Ln near the parking lot. Athletes and spectators will park in the grass field behind the dam/parking lot - entering from Weiss Ln.

The best thing about the bike course is the nice sweet, fast downhill along Pfluger Lane into the finish. I don't think you need to "save" anything on the bike because the run is so flat.

I'll be there as a volunteer. Good luck on your first!

Thanks for the info!
2007-06-14 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
I'll be there - looking forward to it!  I'm planning on being out on the course on Saturday for a final spin or two around on the bike.  It looks like it's going to be a pretty fun race....except for maybe the run.  No trees or shade AT ALL!!! I think this will be one of those races where I pick up water at the station and just dump it right over my head....
2007-06-14 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
I'll be there as well. I'm really looking forward to it.
2007-06-14 1:20 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
I am also going Saturday for a "trial run" on the bike.

I know it will be hot, but with only 350 of us, I wonder how long the swim wave will last and really how late in the morning any of us might be running (ok, no way I will actually be abel to run the entire thing anyway, but you know....

Does any one know if the lake is "open" right now? I've never been there and thought I'd jump in a go for a quick swim if that's possible.

2007-06-14 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
The lake is open, but very, very careful in your bare feet as I always find rusty fish hooks lying around on the shore.
2007-06-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: #844556

Austin, TX
tinkerbell57 - 2007-06-14 1:24 PM

The lake is open, but very, very careful in your bare feet as I always find rusty fish hooks lying around on the shore.

Ah geez, I have seen people fishing out there. I've cut my foot sole open on a shell before (not at this lake though), not fun.

UTfan - When are you planning on going out for a ride on Saturday?
2007-06-14 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
There is a group of us getting in the water at 8am by the first dock near transition if anyone else wants to join.
2007-06-14 2:40 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
April - DH and I are going to go ride the route on Saturday morning.

Looks like there is a group getting in the water at 8 am so if he doesn't mind waiting for me, I may join in on the swim and we'll go for the ride after that. Same route as what is marked for the Tri. Not sure if we'll do the part of the route that is the feeder road of the highway, though !! Has anyone done that part, is it safe with the roads open? I sure hope they close one lane for the race at least.

Tink - thanks for the lake advice (p.s. it's me, Tami Ann
2007-06-14 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
The entire route is open for traffic.  The frontage road along 130 is very nice.

2007-06-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: #844761

Austin, TX
UTFan - 2007-06-14 2:40 PM

Looks like there is a group getting in the water at 8 am so if he doesn't mind waiting for me, I may join in on the swim and we'll go for the ride after that. Same route as what is marked for the Tri. Not sure if we'll do the part of the route that is the feeder road of the highway, though !! Has anyone done that part, is it safe with the roads open? I sure hope they close one lane for the race at least.

I am seriously considering joining the 8 am swim group. I need more open water practice. I've been doing most of my swim, if not all at Gregory on campus, with some in Barton Springs. If anything I'd love to tag along with you on the bike ride if you don't mind. I've done the route twice already, the feeder road of the toll road is practically deserted. There isn't much traffic on there and it's the best part of the course I think because it is smooth!
2007-06-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: #844786

Regular
Austin, Texas
aprils - 2007-06-14 2:54 PM

UTFan - 2007-06-14 2:40 PM

I am seriously considering joining the 8 am swim group. I need more open water practice. I've been doing most of my swim, if not all at Gregory on campus, with some in Barton Springs. If anything I'd love to tag along with you on the bike ride if you don't mind. I've done the route twice already, the feeder road of the toll road is practically deserted. There isn't much traffic on there and it's the best part of the course I think because it is smooth!

Excellent!

Ok - count me in for joining the swim. And anyone else who is interested, we will be biking afterwards. Perfect - a swim/bike Brick is on my training schedule for this weekend anyway. What better way to do it than with the real deal Bike/run Brick tonight - yuck! But next week....nice and easy taper - woohoo!

So, uh....how are we all going to know each other? LOL

Tami in Austin
2007-06-14 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas

We have had this issue in the past.  I have a BT sign that I will put on my truck (Green Ford f150) while we get ready and then by the shore while we swim.  Don't worry, it's always awkward at first.  This is all just for fun.

2007-06-15 9:16 AM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Great! Thanks for letting us know. I’ll be looking for the sign ?

I’ll be in a Blue FJ Cruiser with my DH. I have spread the word to my training partners and to 2 others who are doing the Pflug Tri and they will probably be joining us as well. I hope that is ok and that this is a “the more the merrier” kinda deal.

I did a bike/run Brick last night and am looking forward to the swim/bike Brick tomorrow. The clouds opened up right when we were suppose to go biking, so we hit the gym and did a Spin class and treadmill instead.

Tami
2007-06-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #845151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I'll be there for sure. I'll be in a teal/green honda, and ready to hit the water in my red/black swimsuit (red is faster, you know....) It'll be great to meet some more BT'ers in person! Looking forward to it.....

Thanks, Mike, for hosting/getting us a bit organized.

2007-06-15 10:34 AM

Austin, TX
I will definitely be there just have to make sure to get some sleep tonight. I'll also be in a red swim suit, but also with a bruised jaw/cheek and a waning black eye (I got hit in the face during soccer practice).

I drive a purple/blue taurus, unless a friend is coming and it'll be a white civic.

Looking forward to getting in the lake.
2007-06-16 6:35 AM

Regular
Austin, Texas
ugh....the RAIN

Are we still on?

Radar looks like it *might* clear up soon and will probably clear up later....so do we still go for it at 8 or wait?

I'm having re-living my CapTex frustrations and this just sux

2007-06-16 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
I can relate to how the RD for CapTex felt on race morning.  The weather report does not look like it going to break much all day.  I am going to still show-up at 8.  I might skip the swim depending on lightning and how the water looks.  There are no low water crossing on the bike so I will go one loop on the bike and then just run. 
2007-06-16 6:48 AM
in reply to: #846808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
I'm going to hope for the best and show up. The chances for rain drop off a lot once the sun comes up, it looks like....

Edited by katzchen55 2007-06-16 6:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pflugerville Lake Tri - June 24th Rss Feed  

of 2