Grandma's Marathon
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 376/1089
Age Group = Open: age 19-34
Age Group Rank = 59/217
Pre-race routine:

Drank water, avoided nachos and beer that my friends were eating at the Brewhouse just before the race
Event warmup:

We stayed at a beach house just four blocks over the lift bridge, so I guess a 1/2 mile walk to the race. It then started to pour rain and most people punked out and went for shelter. I guess I consider myself "hardcore" and stayed in the rain. A little water never hurt anyone.
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

They almost canceled the race because of the rain/thunderstorms. Luckily things started about 40 minutes after schedule. I started towards the front of the pack just because so many slower paced people start in the front and it is irritating to get around them. My first split was around 8:55 according to my HRM, but I did not make it to the the 2 mile mark until round 18:40, so I slowed down quite a bit. It was starting to rain buckets towards the end, which is always kind of fun to run in but made for huge puddles and slick spots on the road. I also got caught behind a fire truck with its lights on, and was not able to cross to the left side of the road and had to come to a complete stop to let it go by. Some small children also tried (and possibly) out sprinted me to the finish line. Who took those kids off their Ritalin???? Overall, it was a fun race. My husband ran it with me (his 2nd 5K) and beat me by a minute and a half.Unfortunately his timing chip malfunctioned and there is no record of him crossing the finishing line.
What would you do differently?:

wear a dryfit t-shirt instead of cotton
drink more water throughout the day
don't let little children out sprint me at the end (or let it bother me)
stretch after the race-oops!
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a few minutes, drank some water, went to the pasta dinner at the DECC.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough water throughout the day
emergency vehicles :)

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:37 | 03.17 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/217
Overall: 376/1089
Performance: Average
I figured out that the race course is actually 3.17 miles long, so my race pace was 9:02 pace as they posted, not 9:14 like I had figured out.
Course: Out and back route that loops around the DECC and down railroad street.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes