United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/26
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30, dressed and snuck downstairs without waking anyone else in the house up. (Including the dog) Ate a banana and toasted a bagel with some PB to take on the road with me. Drove 1hr 20 mins to the race site. Beautiful drive w/ the sun coming up behind me.

At the race site, I got body marked on the way into the transition area. Set my bike and transition area up and hit the porta potties. Stood and watched slack jawed and agape at some of the bikes and athletes coming in to set up. After that I grabbed my iPod and went down to the edge of the lake and sat down.
Event warmup:

With an hour left til race start, I enjoyed some peaceful time just looking out over the lake, picturing how I wanted the race to go in my head and doing some stretches. Visited the porta potty one more time before the race and did some light running up/down the incline at the bike start to warm up. Then it was "go" time.
Swim
  • 20m 53s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OWS. So, I'll start by saying that there was a lot of learning going on in this first attempt. I was nervous or too hyped up when we started. However, I went out too fast (again) and never could reign in my tempo. It was very hard for me shut out what others around me were doing and focus in on my breathing and rhythm. About 1/4 way through the swim, I realized that my rhythm was way too fast and I needed to slow down. My HR had to be over 90%. I was struggling to say the least. I flipped over on my back and backstroked for a bit to calm down and reassess. I wanted to quit, seriously. I decided - I've never "quit" at anything and I wasn't gonna start today! Did somewhat better for the remainder of the swim, but still had a lot of trouble slowing my pace down. I had a hard time reconciling the fact that I couldn't see anything underwater and I think that caused me to loose focus on everything else. Still, I got my HR down, finished the last leg swimming freestyle and came out of the water not too loopy headed. I want to be "great" at everything right off the bat. I'm trying to give myself some slack w/ performance here. Learn from this first event. Can't be "great" the first time trying, right?
What would you do differently?:

More OWS swim practice. Work on pacing, pacing, pacing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Transition went alot better this time around. Got my insuling pump on, got a gel pack and unracked my bike smoothly. Cool.

Not much
Bike
  • 59m
  • 15 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

The scenery, what I saw of it, was stunning! This was one of my best bike rides ever and I couldn't be happier about this bike section. I didn't get passed as much. Not once on the 2nd loop! And I actually passed people (even a couple of guys) on the 2nd loop. I felt much stronger climbing on the hills and I managed to actually drink and get a gel pack on the bike this time around. (These were goals for me in this race) My top speed was 36 mph - I've never been at that speed before on a bike. I was in with a group of others careening down this hill... I LOVED IT!

Not much for where I'm at in the sport right now. I need to keep on getting out there and riding. Hill work, distance and time in the saddle will make me better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Not the best, not the worst

Practice bricks more
Run
  • 34m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The course description listed the run as mostly flat. This was nowhere near flat!!! Again, I pushed way too hard on the swim and on the bike, although not as bad on the bike. I did not cramp up this time like my first event. I was not a happy camper with the hills and grassy terrain. (Stress fx last fall still has me a little scared on grassy terrain) Again I was dealing with thoughts of quitting - but I thought about the mental toughness score on these race reports and an awesome group of family & friends back at home that I wouldn't want to face if I quit. Then I just pushed all the negativity out of my mind and focused on one foot in front of the other. And voila! I was done. The last mile and half went by in a flash.

Pace myself better on the swim and the bike so I have something left in the tank for the run. Running is my strong point, but not if I expend everything I've got on the swim and the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bannana, water and a couple of OREOS - yum! Headed straight to the transition area, packed up, grabbed my bike and headed for my car. I could not wait to see my family back at home. Amazing to me how much family/friend support at these events means.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience, especially in the swim. I have to pace better. That will come with more experience, I'm sure.

Event comments:

A great race overall, just very challenging for me given my experience and ability level at this point. I'm very glad I did the race and will likely do it again next year. The RD and volunteers were great. The scenery was just beautiful. Bottom line - I accomplished the goals I set for myself in this race which is really good. That's what I have to focus on and not my place in the standings. Can't wait for my next one!!

Last updated: 2007-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:53 | 820 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Rectangular counter-clockwise loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:00 | 15 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/26
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two 7 1/2mile loops through fairly hilly terrain. Course was open to traffic in some areas and got caught up in a traffic jam of sorts at one point. I followed the lead of the people ahead of me on how to navigate alongside of the cars. ???
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:16 | 03.11 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/26
Performance: Below average
Course: Started off on a grassy, uneven hill for a 1/4 mile, then paved hills after that. 2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-20 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Little Pepper

2007-06-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: #852226

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Little Pepper

Congratulations, Jan.  It sounds like you had a fun learning experience.  You did really well with so many firsts in this race.  I think almost everyone's first race reports have similiar swim comments.  It's really hard to pace at the beginning of a race when you're fresh, pumped up about the race and have people around you.   I think the rest of your season's going to go well.  Great race!

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Pepper Rss Feed