General Discussion Triathlon Talk » indoor bike training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-20 7:16 AM

Woodbury, NJ
Subject: indoor bike training?
Hey gang. I have a question. It has not been above 25 in weeks around philly and when it has, it has been acompanied by the white stuff. So for bike training I have been doing spinning classes(no indoor trainer at home). My question is, can I use one of the stationary bikes in the gym for the longer rides and still get a good training day in?

2004-01-20 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4367

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: indoor bike training?
I'm curious about this too. The roads are too nasty for my precious bike so I've been using the stationary bikes at the gym. They have these cute little "programs" like road race or hilly route that change the resistance. It's definitely pre-spinning technology, but it *is* a bicycle and I do sweat, so I assume it's better than nothing. Has anyone used an old-fashioned exercise bike as their main winter bike training? Did it transfer very well to a real bike? Going to the gym also has the advantage of being social, whereas working out at home is sort of lonely and freaks out my dog.
2004-01-20 9:04 AM

Nebraska
Living in Wyoming and Nebraska it is necessary to stay indoors for biking during the winter months. I enjoy it but I am always using my heart rate monitor so I know exactly how much I am pushing. I always use an interval program and then when it is at it's toughest push I stand up. I also race really fast for at least 30 seconds every other minute. You should though (if weather permits) go for a ride outside. That way you can come back indoors and maybe switch how you are riding inside. I find it easy to switch from out to in and vise versa. It's better than not doing anything at all!!
2004-01-20 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Being from Canada I also train indoor during the winter months. I was using a stationary bike, which was good, but now I’m on a roller system called a Cycle-opps. It took a bit of time getting used to but it’s a great workout. You have to stay focused on how you are riding or you will wipe out. I find that it is a tougher workout and helps with ridding technique. As well as a good leg and cardio workout it is also a good core workout because you are always using your stability muscles.
I highly recommend the roller system, which will also allow you to use your road bike and bike computer. My dog hates it too!:-(
2004-01-20 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Gotta keep the dog happy. Mine is a 12 yr old Newfoundland who would almost rather sleep than eat steak, but she'll get up and bark if she thinks I'm having too much fun.

I've heard rollers take a lot of balance and focus and aren't as hard on your tires as some other technologies. How much did you spend on it, if you don't mind my asking? I'm thinking of taking out my old hybrid for road work, but Australia has turned me into a complete pansy where cold is concerned.
2004-01-20 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4389

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
I picked mine up for $265.00 Canadian. I find it so much more challenging and exhausting than a stationary bike. The best way to start ridding this type of trainer is to ride your bike in the middle of a doorway. That way you can bounce off the doorframe (and you will). Once you feel comfortable then you can move into an open area. As you can tell I am really enjoying it. It is definitely the best piece of training equipment I own.

2013-02-09 7:55 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Edited by westsider 2013-02-09 8:02 PM
2013-02-09 10:07 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Wouldn't it be cool if somebody answered the OP's question? I'm interested in the answer too because I don't know. But I just wasted x minutes of my life reading unrelated answers. This happens so often here and it's frustrating. If you don't know, don't post.
2013-02-09 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The general opinion here is that spinning class is far, far better that nothing but does not really equal being out on the road.  Trainers or rollers are generally viewed as better than stationary bikes as you are using your own bike and thus have "time in the saddle".  There are many here that ride almost exclusively on trainers in the winter for weather purposes.  My bike has been on a trainer since October.
2013-02-09 10:40 PM

For sprints olys, you're all set - no prob doing those long rides (likely <2hrs) on the gym bike. Go crazy.

It's harder for HIM and longer, just because that long bike becomes a 3hr or longer affair at peak, which is a long time to be on a gym bike. I'd still say that if you can do it, it's pretty good, but aside from the difficulty staying mentally focused enough to get a decent workout over 3 hrs on a gym bike, you'll def be missing the race-day bike position on the gym bike, and on a 56 mile ride that can ruin your race day if you start getting back pain mid-ride. 

2013-02-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4616048

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth

Oysterboy - 2013-02-09 10:23 PM The general opinion here is that spinning class is far, far better that nothing but does not really equal being out on the road.  Trainers or rollers are generally viewed as better than stationary bikes as you are using your own bike and thus have "time in the saddle".  There are many here that ride almost exclusively on trainers in the winter for weather purposes.  My bike has been on a trainer since October.

I would agree with all of this.

Also note that there are really 2 kinds of bikes at most local gyms.  There are the stationary bikes you find with the rest of the cardio equipment like treadmills and ellipticals, and then there are the spin bikes that are used for spin classes.  The spin bikes will give a much more natural road feel and allow you to more quickly adjust the resistance as if you were changing gears on your bike.  If you do take a spin class I would use the instructors workout and make it your own.  Don't do all the goofy in and out of the seat business, as this is just used to burn more calories.  Go by RPE and turn it into intervals.

Or do the best thing you can ever do for your cycling and buy an indoor trainer and get TrainerRoad.  I use mine all year round (I only ride indoors M-F due to traffic/safety).

2013-02-10 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4616156

User image

Expert
Floriduh

netzer0 - 2013-02-10 7:27 AM.  If you do take a spin class I would use the instructors workout and make it your own. 

+1.  While not really the same as being out on your bike on the road, spin classes can be great workouts.  Most of my bricks during racing season are spin class to treadmill workouts.  This will likely change this year because I have a trainer.  As netzer says, I use my trainer for safety purposes.

2013-02-10 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
A stationary bike is fine for your bike training, especially if you don't have a trainer. Just make sure you get on there and WORK.

I assume you're referring to a "spin" bike and not something like a LifeCycle. A spin bike would be a better choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » indoor bike training? Rss Feed