United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and had two Powerbars and some milk..
Drove early to the race. I knew this was going to be a crowded race because of the location. It is located in a beautiful beach so many beach goers also were expected to come. I arrived early parked the car and decided simply to take a little nap until the race actually started.
Event warmup:

Rubbed my legs with sun blocker and walked to get my bib number and ran back (about 50 meters).. that was all.
Run
  • 2h 48m
  • 14.2 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Now, this was a very interesting race. Not only because it is very hard and the course is amazingly beautiful, but also because it is a handicapped race. If you've never run a handicap race before you'll find that it gives you a whole new perspective. If you're an older runner the handicap will give you a big head start. If you're younger you'll have to work hard to catch everyone. The real older runners started almost 1 hour ahead of everybody else, my age group was the scratch group, which means we were the last group to start almost 1 hour after the first group took off. It was interesting.

If you are not familiar with the dipsea race it is amazigly hard. It has an incredible elevation gain and some areas are so steep that they are simply stairs.. and hard. Hills with names like "Suicide hill" and such might be intimidating. But anyhow, doing over 650 stair steps trying to run them had my quads in fire.

Anyhow.. It was a great race.. I will update the times and my placing once the results are available.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing... I had a great time...
Post race
Warm down:

Bananas, walk to the bathroom and proceeded to wash my legs since I came in contact with poison oak and my legs were beginning to itch. Went back to the car and applied a considerably amount of Tecnu (agains posion ivy/oak) drove home, ate and took a nap..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing... I had a great time

Event comments:

Great race, and definitely will consider doing it again. I will also do the Quad DipSea in October.

Last updated: 2007-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:48:00 | 14.2 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This is a great race... It follows the course of the famous DipSea race in California and its infamous steps.. It was a race highly technical, and it was an open course. You were allowed to take shortcuts, however these shorcuts were pre-chosen by the organizers and these usually were far steeper than the regular course. I took most of the shortcuts, they hard indeed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-23 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Double DipSea

2007-06-23 11:07 PM
in reply to: #857237

Subject: RE: Double DipSea
Very, very cool race indeed. I've always wanted to run it and hope to have the opportunity one day. Great job at running it!
2007-06-24 10:04 PM
in reply to: #857237

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Double DipSea
Sounds like a fun race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Double DipSea Rss Feed