View Member's Race Log
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Total Time = 1h 13m 13s
Overall Rank = 45/162
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever multi-sport event.I brought one of my buddies for moral support,he also wanted to check it out because he plans on doing Guelp-2. We drove from London and got there about 2 hours before race time.Went through all the registration steps,got everything set up in the transition area.
Event warmup:

with about 45mins to race time I went for a short little bike ride, came back stretched a bit, then went for an easy jog with a few strides, came back and stretched some more.Feeling really nervous.
Run
  • 08m 33s
  • 2 kms
  • 04m 17s  min/km
Comments:

I usually run with my ipod and Nike+ to keep track of pace and times but I couldn't bring it, so I couldn't really monitor my pace and ended up going a little faster then I should have,
What would you do differently?:

bring a watch so I can monitor my pace. Not get caught up in the first race adrenaline.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I was a little tired from the first run pace, so I took my time a bit in the transition area just to catch my breath.

nothing really, next time I just hope i'm not as winded after the first short run, so I can go a bit faster through the transition.
Bike
  • 39m 26s
  • 19 kms
  • 28.91 km/hr
Comments:

tried not to go out to hard because I didn't want to be running on empty for the last run. I wasn't really feeling the bike ride, I felt low on energy. I got passed and did some passing. I mostly got passed on the flats and did most passing on the hills.

train even more, build up endurance more so I can go harder on the bike and not have to worry about finishing the next run. Need to up my avg. speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

good transition,

practice a bit more and shave a few seconds off.
Run
  • 22m 16s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 27s  min/km
Comments:

I was pretty pooped, and it seemed like i was running at a snails pace but I was passing quite a few people. The run seemed ALOT longer then 5km's. after the first out and back coming back towards the finsih line I picked it up and started sprinting, then realized it's not over yet, we still have to go past the finish line up a hill then turn around and go back to the finish. I almost had to walk, I had nothing left, but managed to keep it up to the finish. There was alot of ruts and really loose dirt and gravel right byt the finsih which wasn't very nice, but I was sooo happy to be done. I couldn't believe that I ran the 5k in 22:16 ecasue that's also my new 5km PB. It felt like i was going so slow but i guess that's just cause I already ran and biked???

train more, build up endurance
Post race
Warm down:

drink water,walk around,stretch,eat,drink,go home have a bbq and sveral beers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my endurance. I thought my training was pretty good. But I got a long ways to go.

Event comments:

This was a great race and a nice course, great volunteers and organization. The food after the race was awesome! the only thing would change about this course is to make sure everyone know that the last run isn't over untill you go past the finish area then come back. Everyone I talked to thought it was the finish, but we still had like 1.5km's to go! and the loose gravel and ruts right before the finish area. But overall a GREAT race site and I will definatley be back for Guelph 2 t try ad improve on my first Duathlon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:33 | 02 kms | 04m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 34/162
Performance: Good
Course: the course was an out and back and seemed longer then 2k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:39:26 | 19 kms | 28.91 km/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 81/162
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Another out and back with rolling hills, a few bigger hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:16 | 05 kms | 04m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 22/162
Performance: Good
Course: same course as the first run except you go out further and when you come back you have to go past the finish area go further then turn around again and come back(which I didn't know)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes