Fins Wheels Feet Racing
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 2s
Overall Rank = 320/393
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 53/60
Pre-race routine:

At brother's (Kevin's) home for the race. 4 and 1/2 hours of sleep (due to watching UFC fights the night before - worth it!). PB&J sandwhich, coffee, and naproxen. Emptied bowels & bladder at home (very happy!). Made it to the H.S. parking lot a little after 6 am. 1-2 mile bike ride to the transition area. Plenty of time to set up my equipment and squeeze into my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

None. Hear rate up in anticipation of the race.
Swim
  • 41m 46s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim! I exceeded all my expectations. I had anticipated that I would complete the swim course in 50 minutes, and did it in 41 minutes. I was in the 5th (last) wave, and by the halfway mark, I began passing some swimmers from the wave ahead of me. Breathing every fourth stroke. Right shoulder pain wasn't an issue.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Not bad for a guy that swims on average three times a month! Minimum effort, baby!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

Took my time. No problems getting out of wetsuit. Hydrated and headed out w/ my bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 5s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't train hills, so it was very challenging for me. Regardless I maintained a comfortable pace and enjoyed the ride. As long as I could average a 15 mph pace, I was happy. I was surprised that the hills didn't completely kick my ass, and there were many a time when I was saying to myself, "I can't believe I'm accelerating up this hill!" My pride took a hit when I had one more loop to go and everyone else seemed to be heading to the transition area. Not a lot of people behind me...

Nothing. My standards aren't that high. As long as I finish feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Easy transition. Parked bike, took off helmet, hydrated a bit, and took off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 57m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

It was the most challenging 6 miles I've ever run. People were walking up the hills. I may not have been going that fast, but there was no way you'd catch me walking. There was a one mile stretch where I recorded a 13 minute mile (so slow it looks like a walking pace). I just concentrated on my breathing, put one foot in front of the other, and ran as comfortable a pace as I could. Finished strong. Felt great after the run. I was really happy to have averaged under a 10 minute mile.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, an apple, and a couple slices of pizza. Stretched. Hung out with my and my brother's family after the race. The kids played on the beach of the lake for an hour or so. Good times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not realy motivated to perform any faster. I was hoping to finish the race in 3.5 hours and finished it in 3:17. I constantly surprise myself on how well (relatively speaking) I can perform based on how few hours of training I put in. As long as I feel good during and at the end of a race, I'm not changing my routine.

Event comments:

Great race. Well organized. Beautiful lake swim. Challenging bike course. The run, however, is over the top hard. Too damn hilly! Once you finish it, though, you feel a sense of accomplishment. The race is not that family friendly. It took my family 30 minutes to walk (w/ strollers) to the race site/transition area from the designated parking area at the local high school.

Last updated: 2007-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:46 | 1760 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/60
Overall: 314/393
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca sleeveless
Course: Beautiful lake swim. 1 mile out and back course. Buoy's to the right as we swam clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:05 | 24.2 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/60
Overall: 355/393
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops on rolling hills. We had an entire lane of a two lane road and didn't need to deal w/ traffic. Lots of cops and race help. However, no bottle exchange - which was okay as long as you could hold two water bottles on your bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:30 | 06.2 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/60
Overall: 259/393
Course: Ridiculously hilly course. I felt like the course planners incorporated all the hills in the area into the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 8:55 AM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Subject: Lake Montclair Triathlon

2007-06-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: #858414

User image

New user

Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: Lake Montclair Triathlon
Man, your swim time is awesome...what happened to the guy that couldnt swim 6 months ago...I like the less effort training...proof is in the pudding. I think we are ready for the swim in the HIM...now, the bike and run to focus on the next few months...glad we were able to do this together once again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Montclair Triathlon Rss Feed