Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #862219

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Cheating on Tris
Chicago Shamrock Shuffle which is a 8k where is a street where we have to turn and there is a huge plaza. Well a large group of people always run through the plaza. The cut about 400 ft from the course. I love beating those people not only and I big but I ran a longer course that they did.

The worse thing I have heard was at Mairne Corp marathon where a group of charity runners were actually told by there leaders to cut about 4 miles on the marathon so they did not miss the 21 mile cut off and they would hit each chip mate.

I am glad people complained when they saw this and they DQ everyone who cut. Chip mates times do not lie.

I am sure there are so many times were each of us had a chance to cheat but did not do it to keep the sport pure. There are times when we do it and we do not try to do it but when its blantant that is what bugs me.

2007-06-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: #859362

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

At my last sprint, there was a 4 lap bike course. I was having a lot of trouble counting laps. My bike computer said I had done one more lap than I had counted to that point. I decided to go with my count to be safe and definitely not cheat. Before the ride was over, I figured out that I hadn't reset the computer. That and my finishing time told me I did the 4 and only 4 laps. I would much rather do extra than not enough.

I heard another guy got to T2, realized his faster friend who started first had not been there, so he went back to do another bike lap. I never heard if he was correct or not. He did have change his shoes before he decided to go back, so he changed shoes again.

I'm most worried about getting an accidetal postition penalty. I am much slower, so I get passed alot, if they pass slowly, I have to slow down to back off from drafting. I hate giving up the little momentum I do have.

2007-06-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: #861733

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
CalgaryRunner - 2007-06-26 7:22 PM

I volunteered at a tri a couple of weeks ago.  One of my duties was to stand in lake and direct / assist people out of the lake (as the boat ramp exit was a bit slippery).  During the Mens Olympic distance race one racer was paddled to the swim exit in one of the lifeguards canoes.  One of his legs was cramping up.  Another volunteer massaged his calf for a couple of minutes as they guy seemingly couldn't stand after getting out of the canoe.  The racer thanked the volunteer, stood up, and then ran across the timing mat on to T1.  We all stood there with our jaws dropped. 

He wasn't going to finish on the podium so we let it slide.  I'm sorry if someone finishing behind him feels slighted that they finished in Xth position when they could have finished in X-1th position.  Personally if one knowingly cheats in a race I figure you've got to harbour some guilty thoughts.

You know, I had to drop out of a swim once. Two loops and I um, booted on the first.

They told me to "go ahead" into T1 and tried to talk me out of it when I refused. Weird.
2007-06-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: #862918

User image

Elite
summer_2005 - 2007-06-27 11:55 AM
CalgaryRunner - 2007-06-26 7:22 PM

I volunteered at a tri a couple of weeks ago. One of my duties was to stand in lake and direct / assist people out of the lake (as the boat ramp exit was a bit slippery). During the Mens Olympic distance race one racer was paddled to the swim exit in one of the lifeguards canoes. One of his legs was cramping up. Another volunteer massaged his calf for a couple of minutes as they guy seemingly couldn't stand after getting out of the canoe. The racer thanked the volunteer, stood up, and then ran across the timing mat on to T1. We all stood there with our jaws dropped.

He wasn't going to finish on the podium so we let it slide. I'm sorry if someone finishing behind him feels slighted that they finished in Xth position when they could have finished in X-1th position. Personally if one knowingly cheats in a race I figure you've got to harbour some guilty thoughts.

You know, I had to drop out of a swim once. Two loops and I um, booted on the first. They told me to "go ahead" into T1 and tried to talk me out of it when I refused. Weird.

Had they taken your chip?  It's not uncommon for RD's to let you finish the course even if you wave off on the swim, however your offical type goes down as a DNF.

bts 

2007-06-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #859362

Veteran
Lutz, Florida

I was watching the broadcast of the escape from alcatraz race and I noticed that there were a few atheletes passing on the right.  Not age groupers, but professionals.  One of the passes was to take the lead in the women's race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheating on Tris Rss Feed  

of 2