Fins Wheels Feet Racing
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 372/392
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. Got there plenty early and got a good spot at the end of the rack and got set up.
Event warmup:

Put on wet suit.
Warm up enough.
Swim
  • 39m 52s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a wave start with I think, 5 waves by estimated swim time. I was in the fourth wave. The lake had no waves and was a comfortable temp. I started out breathing every stroke. There was a bit of banging but then everyone settled in. I sited well and cut the dog leg well. On the way back I was able to relax and breathe every third stroke and swim without bumping anyone. Very pleased with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

Took my time. There was an inflatable pool at the edge of the beach to clean the feet. Walked to transition. Took two shot blocks.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 48s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I used my aero drink holder for the first time. Had that filled with Gatorade and had a gel flask. took a shot of gel on each lap. The good thing about 4 laps was you knew exactly where you were in the course. The bad thing was I was getting passed like crazy and it was inpossible if it was people from behind me or people from the front of the pack lapping.It was both of course. I was really slow on the bike, but I kept up a steady pace and had no difficult parts.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Was a bit of a steep hill into transition so I took it slow. Change my shoes, had two shot blocks.
Run
  • 1h 12m 43s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very hilly course through neighborhoods and it was by now getting hot. It was a bit disturbing that for long stretches in the neighborhoods I would not see a soul. Not a worker, not a runner. At one point I thought I must have made a wrong turn, but I looked behind me and saw another runner about 100 meters back. I kept up a steady pace even though it was hilly and I was hot, I never felt I would not make it or had to stop. I carried a little bike bottle of Gatorade with me and I still had my trusty gel flask. I took a hit at every mile because there was water.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal.
Ate two slices of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am slow.
I did not have any mechanical failures or wardrobe malfunctions.
I can honestly say I did all I could do.

Event comments:

This was a very organized well run race.

Last updated: 2007-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:52 | 1760 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 373/392
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: it was an out and back dog leg.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:42:48 | 24.2 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 389/392
Wind: Little
Course: It was a 6 mile circle that was repeated four times. Each lap had two 180 degreee turnarounds. Gently rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:43 | 06.2 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 368/392
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-26 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: Lake Montclair Triathlon

2007-06-26 5:37 PM
in reply to: #861332

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Lake Montclair Triathlon

Awesome job Maggie!!  You had a great swim!!  Like you said...you did what you could and did your own pace. You never felt like stopping or that you couldn't go on...and finished YOUR race! Good for you!!

Aero bottle tip for you....(actually 2 tips) Many people ONLY put water in their aero bottles just to make sure it and the straw and scrunchy don't get funky.  Easier to pitch a bike bottle if it gets nasty, but more expensive and inconvenient to replace the aero bottle.  ALSO, if you had to lay your bike down to change a flat, etc....only water will leak out...not your precious electrolyte replacement.  SO...I always keep the Gatorade or whatever in a bike bottle down below.  Tip 2: A shower scrunchy works WAY better than the yellow thing that comes with the bottle.  It doesn't move, and IF it somehow did, the little strap on it you wrap around the straw....so it's not going far.  Also, there is NO splashing through it.  With the yellow one I was ALWAYS getting splashed. Another reason to only have water up front....don't like being all sticky.  Ok...I have used up enough of your RR to talk about aero bottles. SORRY!  Just thought I would share in case it was in any way useful.  Again YOU ROCK GIRL!!!! WOO HOO!!

2007-06-26 7:55 PM
in reply to: #861624

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Thanks for the tip. I shall use that in the future!!

Edited by Nipper 2007-06-26 7:57 PM
2007-06-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: #861332

User image

Expert

Sounds like a successful race to me!  I really like how you completed the last section about what limited your performance:

"I am slow. I did not have any mechanical failures or wardrobe malfunctions."

Was this a Superbowl triathlon or something?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Montclair Triathlon Rss Feed