General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half/Full Ironman liquids available on the course? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-27 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Half/Full Ironman liquids available on the course?

Is there a hard and fast rule to what is normally given out at aid stations in half and full distance events on the bike like Gatorade Endurance?  Im trying to nail down a hydration plan and am up against a key decision ... can you really carry all of the custom fluids you need with you or do you just rely on what the course gives out, and train with that?  All of these other wacky drinks sound great, but how do you race with them ... carry a bunch of big water bottles, mix em on the fly? 

I just finished my first Oly and it was easy to carry everything I needed with me, but now that Im setting my sights on a half for this year and a full for next year, Im trying to figure the hydration part out.  Id like to keep it simple and have a pretty strong stomach.

2007-06-27 2:57 PM
in reply to: #863192

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Half/Full Ironman liquids available on the course?

No hard & fast rule.  Events by the same RD or race organization tend to have the same offerings but can still vary, especially year-to-year.  Gatorade Endurance has become the most popular half/full sports drink, but I've seen races use Infinit, Accelerade, Heed, etc.

I prefer to rely on the course to simplify what I need to carry myself.  So find out what the race(s) use that you are going to do and try those products in training.  I think most people can adapt to most of these offerings...but better to find out if you're an exception prior to race day. 

2007-06-27 3:08 PM
in reply to: #863238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Ya ... Philly was my first experience with GE and I held it down pretty well
2007-07-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #863192

User image

I tried this for my first HIM...1 bottle I mixed to 10x concentration and would squirt some of that super juice (I like cytomax tangy orange the most) into my aerobottle and then fill the rest of the aerobottle with water from aid stations.  So I would basically have an aerobottle at regular concentration, a concentrate bottle, and an extra cage for water to help down other types of nutrition (ie gels).  Worked well for the bike.

Decided to switch over to GE for training for my next race though just to make life a little bit easier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half/Full Ironman liquids available on the course? Rss Feed