General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ventura, California
United States
Breath of Life Ventura
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 14m 1s
Overall Rank = 322/388
Age Group = m-40-44
Age Group Rank = 47/49
Pre-race routine:

I had Way too much going on Saturday , Day at the office Work , trip to LAX airport to drop off the Lovely MRS , trip to the rink for a practice , get home walk the dogs , forgot to eat a decent meal , packed the Car for the race Sunday and then tri and go to sleep
Woke up a little earlier than usual at 4:30 am ......... . I Should have made my prep for the race a priority and scale back my plans on saturday but I did not .
One good thing I did was get to Ventura early and stop at a gas station and avoided the whole Port a Portapotty Business
Event warmup:

Found BT er Chris M and headed over to the ocean for 5 min swim in the waves , a good idea , there was a side current and some big rollers but only near the shore pretty calm after that. Water was nice temperature
Swim
  • 39m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Just finished warming up saw our group lining up , lined up at the back as I planned to take it easy in the swim. First half was OK freestyle , Hard to for me to sight so zig zagged a little and had to stop to figure out where i was going , got to a big buoy and thought i was a turnaround , but then there was another buoy further away with a boat nearby , Water temp Good 67F
Got a bit Hot and claustrophobic in the wetsuit and had trouble breathing after rounding the last buoy . Was also caughing and not breathing well even when i kept my head out of the water .
Breastroked back in with my head out of the water , I never got confortable
breathing again during the race and this affected my performance.
The longer swim kicked my butt and from that I never fully recovered.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS swims . Longer intervals at the pool . See prerace routine and dont repeat .
Transition 1
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

Needed a break and regroup after the swim so took the time to get changed and to eat two gels and drink water before moving on
When I saw the splits online today I was surprised the time was not higher >
I really took my time in there ....

Taking my time was the right thing to do .
Bike
  • 1h 17m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went pretty OK . I was tired and did not have as much energy as on my better workouts . Saw plenty passing in the no passing zone and some drafting especially with the faster guys :) Like they need to...

I am pretty happy with the split under the circumstances . It Shows the bike is my strongest sport that I can still caugh up an respectable time.

see pre race routine
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

T2 was fine , but I was out of fuel and I had enough of the race at that point . And would have been happy to finish the race Right then and there . Despite that I was on autopilot and had a Good transition , jogged with shoes on , switched to runners , got race belt a gel and some water.

Good T2 , just really tired at this point ...
Run
  • 1h 10m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired and out of fuel , Ran in survival mode , Walked 1 min at every aid station . And would have been happy to finish the race Right after the bike segment . And then THAT first mile after the bike was so tough . I had done number of Bricks . But I was never THAT wasted coming off the bike as I was at this race.

see pre race routine

More distance work , have not done a lot since March Marathon
Post race
Warm down:

Showered . Then I had to run back home for 12 so i skipped the food but i heard there was a nice spread

What limited your ability to perform faster:

t was tough day out there for me , commited plenty of No-nos , especially the day before the race : Going to bed too late , hard workout 10 hours before the race , no decent meal the night before .Seriously Thought about a DNF but fought it off . What helped me get over the inner demons was I switched thinking of the race as a race , relaxed and turned it into a well supported training session. Did OK on the bike but in survival mode for the 10km run where i did plenty of walking .

Event comments:

Its a 1st class Event all the way . Easy to get there . Tons of helpful volunteers , Well marked course. Packet pick up easy and plenty of rack space. Beautiful venue , excellent course marking and helpful informed volunteers .

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:26 | 1500 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 48/49
Overall: 49/388
Performance: Bad
Probably 140s
Suit: Orca fullsuit
Course: U shape Out and back Probably 700 out 100 across 700 back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:41 | 24.85 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/49
Performance: Average
Did not bring it as the battery died a week ago.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat out and back with two loops at the far end , All flat . wide except for the first and last mile ,
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:06 | 06.21 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/49
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the shore 2 loops , Pretty course I was in survival mode for the 10km where i did plenty of walking after every aid station. Pace slower than marathon Legs felt like they could go faster but there was no fuel left and air getting to the engine to go to my potential.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %-1%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-28 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

2007-06-28 4:49 PM
in reply to: #865005

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course
Hey, great job out there under some less than ideal circumstances.

I agree that your bike split is awesome.

Sounds like you really toughed it out on the run to finish this darn thing.

Looks like a great supported "Training Run"
2007-06-28 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Thanks WaterDogg . Its funny how we are proud and want to share our successes but failures we want to bury or go away.
This race was somewhat out of my confort zone , but then so was my first TRI and every new longer race distance i completed .
I will regroup train wiser and try my luck again in a few months.

2007-06-29 11:25 AM

User image

Nice to meet you Paul, thanks for the honest race report.  And congrats on not letting the "head demons" get the best of you.  Hey, your bike split is better than my fist Oly split, pretty darn good I'd say, especially after that tough swim.

Reaching down and finding what you need to finish the run is a great accomplishment.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed