General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Branch, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = none!
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am, had the usual PB&J on waffles, a little gatorade, and out the door.

(Just to clarify, it's not quite an oly, but it's more than a sprint, so I picked oly up there and we'll all have to live with ourselves.) :)
Event warmup:

Whining about how cold the water was going to be! Jen pulled up right beside me just as I was getting my tires pumped up, found a spot to rack while she registered, was almost immediately joined by the fabulous Carol, shortly followed by the equally fabulous Nora. Off to the 'loo, and found Mary and Bongo the Wonder Dog hanging out at the rack for some good pre-race vibes! :)
Swim
  • 19m 25s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Hard swim. I mean, it's an ocean out&back, they're always tough. Turn around was to the right around the buoy, and so was the current, which meant I crashed into buoys on the way out and couldn't stay close enough on the way back in. Did I mention I hate the taste of salt water? And then to make yourself get back in and do it AGAIN, well, it's a good thing we triathletes are naturally a little off...

I also forgot to hit my watch and get it going until I rounded the buoy the first time. D'oh!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, really. It was my first OWS of the season, I'm not the strongest swimmer in the world, but I'm happy I pulled it off.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

I think I hit my watch right as I got out of the water, then it's kind of a truck up the beach, up the steps, over the boardwalk and down again into the T. Took my time and I guess it shows :) We were on the entrance end, so its also a long jog to the end before you can mount up on the bike.

Not much, I can live with it.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 2s
  • 19 miles
  • 15.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Sometimes I really think I suck on the bike. The first loop was dreadful, I was getting passed so much at one point I replied to an "on your left" with a "just like everyone else!" Egads. Much like the swim, there was a point where I started contemplating just doing one loop, but that would have been wimpy of me. :) I wasn't feeling the Sport Beans, nor the gatorade, but I got a little of both in me. Second loop I seemed to hit my stride a little better. Took a Gu towards the end, that helped! My computer is only up for doing current speed, so I have no idea how true the distance was. Can't wait for the Cateye to get here...

Also wish they had someone on each of the turns - you have to pay attention and follow signs - which one should presumably be capable of, but they're kinda low and small and while I think I got it right, I saw a few wrong turns out there.

Bike more. Bike lots more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Easy peasy.
Run
  • 58m 2s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm even more pokey in the run than I am on the bike, if that's possible :) I was hoping to have more oomph, but I just kept it steady and consistent for fear that stopping = not starting up again! As slow as I was, I still felt pretty good about it. Not my fastest run ever, but then again, I usually don't preface my runs with an ocean swim AND a bike ride :) I got some cowbell love on the way in, so I hammed it up for Mary with the cam, and kicked up the pace to try to make it look like I'm a real runner :)

Run more. Run lots more :)
Post race
Warm down:

I was (and still am) so tired, I just busted out of there like a cat who's asleep and realizes she forgot to turn the iron off somewhere.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being slow :)

Event comments:

It's just a 'practice' tri, you keep your own splits and report later (which I still have to do because I didn't even stop by the running store to do that before I got outta Dodge). Still, a banana would be nice at the end :) It was great to meet all the Mosc girls (Charlie, where'd you go??) and I'm feeling a little better equipped to handle the NJ State Tri in a few short weeks. (yay for LAKE swims!) :)

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:25 | 800 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: shorty
Course: out, around the bouy, back, out of the water, do it again!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:48
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:02 | 19 miles | 15.83 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops, lots of residential streets, not closed although they do have some cops directing at the bigger intersections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:02 | 05 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out to the left, past the 3 mile turnaround for the sprinters to a special turnaround that seemed a LOT further than it needed to be, back past T, out a mile and a half or so, turnaround and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

2007-07-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #867691

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

woop woop! had a blast cheering on so many peeps there today! it was great to finally meet you, i think you did great! here's to rockin' 7/22!

i'll send you some pics later

2007-07-01 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
Manassas, VA
Great race! I did the sprint for my second tri and loved it. Congrats on doing the sproly distance - too much for me!
2007-07-01 7:34 PM
in reply to: #867895

User image

Extreme Veteran
"sproly" - nice term!! I like it!
2007-07-03 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1
Congrat on a great race.  Nice job sticking to the double loop.  I know that can be tempting to cut it short.  I got sucked towards the buoys as well, on the way back it felt like was was drifting out to sea Hopefully we will bump into each other again at the NJ OLY.  It's always fun to meet fellow BT'ers.  Good luck training the next couple of weeks
2007-07-05 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

forgive me, but i had to share, you looked like you were having so much fun!

(maxpixie3.jpg)

(maxpixie2.jpg)

(maxpixie1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
maxpixie3.jpg (66KB - 33 downloads)
maxpixie2.jpg (74KB - 37 downloads)
maxpixie1.jpg (69KB - 31 downloads)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed