Overall Rank = 68/205
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up - 4:30
Ate - Buttered toast, Odwalla bar (chocolate chip peanut), apple juice
Loaded everything up.
At race site by 6:00.

Next year they need to give directions to parking, not just the race sight. Parking was at Pearland High School, but lots of people, including myself, had no idea where that was.

Set up transition in the rain. Realized my efforts to keep my shoes dry were fruitless.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1/3 mile and swam a quick 100m between thunder claps.
Swim
  • 06m 28s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got passed by the guy behind me by the second lap. Talked to him afterwards and found out that he started out entirely too quick and got out of breath. I appreciated his passing me none the less. He was a big guy (relative to me) and made a nice big draft. I felt really fresh coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I will practice my TI drills however, and hopefully get better at swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Transition made more difficult due to wet gear. Still feel that I could shave some time. Was able to sprint out of the water.

If they have this event again they need to take care of the rocks in the parking lot. They were pretty painful to walk across.

I need to do more practice and visualize the transitions the night before.
Bike
  • 36m 44s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. It was one of my fastest times ever. I had my handle bars lowered yesterday (stem spacers on top) to put me in a more aero position. I passed lots of people and only got passed by maybe 4.

Had to take it easy in the u-turns because it was so wet. I saw one guy completely miss a u-turn and go into a neighborhood. I don't know how far he went into the neighborhood before he realized he was off the course. Still, probably not as bad as the mistake I made though. Read on for more details!

I need to get more aero. I think I'm only going to be able to get about another 3/4" to 1" of drop out of my bike. Sounds like a good reason to get a tri specific bike, doesn't it!
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Good transition, except for one thing. I got my cycling stuff off, and my running shoes on. So far so good. And then I bolt out of the transition area, leaving my race belt with my race number sitting on my transition towel. Huge bummer because I didn't realize till I was at least 1/4 mile down the road. (Keep reading for more info.)

Not forget my race belt.
Run
  • 27m 12s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Blah! This run time includes the extra 1/2 mile or more that I ran back to the transition area for my race belt. Big, huge, stinking bummer. I think I could have taken 2nd in the AG if I hadn't done that. Oh well. I bet I'll never forget that little belt again.

Other than that, running in the rain was interesting. It was pouring down, raining in sheets even. I didn't even have to get water at the aid stations. All I had to do was look up and open my mouth. I'm sure it slowed me down some, but I didn't care. I was cool as a cucumber the whole run because of the rain. Knee held up quite niely as well.

Not forget my race belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to a tent and got one of those nice complimentary stretches by a chiro. It actually hurt a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Forgetting race belt, rain. Other than that, pretty solid.

Event comments:

Next year organizers should give directions directly to the parking area. Plenty of port-o-cans for the number of people, which was nice. On u-turns both sides of the turn around should be marked so someone doesn't think it's a standard turn like the poor guy who went flying off into the neighborhood. Overall, I would do this event again.

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:28 | 300 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 67/205
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool. Down and back in one lane, then cross over.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:44 | 12 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 50/205
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Nice. Flat of course. 4 u-turns.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:12 | 03 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 112/205
Performance: Below average
Course: Some running trail, some neighborhood roads. Pretty good except for the mud part.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes