TRI ON THE RUN
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 07m 26s
Overall Rank = 34/207
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

felt kinda crummy this morning, couldn't muster up an appetite. just got up and got my stuff together, took off for the race.
Event warmup:

the weather was terrible. after picking up my packet, my chip, and getting marked i headed toward transition. the ground was wet already and it started drizzling again. i set up my transition in the rain, it was crazy. my helmet sticker was almost in three pieces from tearing. had to go back and get my arm re-marked because the marker didn't take on the first go round because my arm was wet. the rain was coming down and there was thunder and lightning, they kicked all the people out of the pool after that. it was pretty short lived and i got in and swam a little.
Swim
  • 06m 9s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

i wasn't feeling too good today, not sick but i didn't feel like racing. we were all freezing because the rain started again. it was pouring during the anthem. i haven't been loving swimming lately anyway so i just kinda swam. i decided that i would just try to relax so i would easily make the distance. it worked out good. some yo-yo came and passed me up, then slowed down. guess he burnt himself out passing me. he got by with the first half of his body really clean but then couldn't pull away. i was eyeing some pretty menacing looking feet so i had to slow way down. then i just swam in his bubbles for the rest of the race. i would have to stand up behind him at the walls so he could turn but i didn't really mind because i was getting a draft. my friend Brian seeded himself like the race was 300 yards rather than meters so he had a 50 second gap on me that i knew i would have to make up if i hoped to see him on the run.
What would you do differently?:

swim harder, that guy never should have been able to get by.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

i was kinda tired here, i wasn't moving slow but i wasn't going as fast as i usually do. this time got me 3rd in the age group and while i was only 3 seconds behind #2, that time was 28 seconds behind #1. i am focusing on times here because this race was decided by seconds.

get out of my funk and put a little pep in my step.
Bike
  • 33m 28s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.51 mile/hr
Comments:

this was a pretty rocking bike ride. one person passed me and i passed lots. the guy who passed me had a really good ride, they messed up his splits but his combined bike and T2 was 1:01 faster than my ride alone so he was cooking. this was a good ride, i didn't leave anything out there. second race in a row that i got rained on during the bike ride. i saw Brian at about the 3 mile mark but he was rolling well and i knew if i gave it all to catch him i would suffer later. i took my time and did it the right way. i knew i would have to open a gap on him if i had any hope of not seeing him on the run.

speed average didn't jibe with what i saw, felt, or the overall standings but theres nothing i can do about that. happy with my 3rd place, if the course was long, it was long for everyone. i do like seeing bigger numbers though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

i think i write about this every time. i must do something about it. my T2's are consistently SLOW! i promise, i am going to install the Yanks laces that i have been looking at for two months.

Yanks, Yanks, Yanks, Yanks! this T2 was 15th in my age group.

3rd, 4th, and 5th place beat me by 24, 48, and 14 seconds out of T2. if i had not had to stop and tie my shoe again i would have gotten 5th.
Run
  • 25m 32s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

gonna take more work.

i am wasting too much time in transition. i didn't get my right shoe tied well and the string was flapping and driving me crazy 200 yards into the run so i stopped to tie the shoe. i am sure that not having Yanks in my shoes for transition and having to stop and re-tie cost me 2-3 positions overall. that is a major disappointment. i had seen Brian in transition as i was leaving he was on his way to the exit too. i have no idea what took him so long to catch me but he did inside of the first mile and i was able to keep him in sight for the next mile and a half. with about 1/2 mile to go the rain came pouring down hard again which made it cool but i wouldn't call it pleasant.
Post race
Warm down:

sat down and talked to the guy that passed me on the bike. had some type of recovery drink that they had out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my sad sad run. it may not have been a good decision to go out drinking at a wedding reception in the afternoon and get to bed late yesterday.

Event comments:

they ran a good race, only started late because of the weather. even though i have learned my lesson before on how important every second is, it has never been as apparent as the final results of this race today. i was separated from 5th place by a grand total of 4 seconds, 4th by 25, and i missed my first podium finish by 51 seconds. so close i could touch it. bike ride got me there but T2 and the run took it away.

this RR may be a touch negative, thats just me being kinda pissed at myself.

Last updated: 2007-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:09 | 328 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 0/207
Performance: Below average
Suit: BT trishorts
Course: this was the coolest pool swim i have ever done. the pool was 50 meters so we only had to go up and back three times. the cool part was they divided the field into odd and even sides and started from opposite edges swimming from the outside in. both lines were moving concurrently so it got 2X as many people onto the course in the same amount of time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:28 | 12 miles | 21.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 16/207
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: this was a fantastic course, long straightaways that ran down brand new smoot concrete streets. four u-turns and only a few other corners. no hills, only one incline that i would be ashamed to call a hill.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:32 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 81/207
Performance: Average
Course: typical, out of the park and onto the streets. there was one long stretch that was like a cross country course, mud and grass, loose gravel and water that really took a lot of life out of my legs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 5:26 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: YMCA Y Freedom Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-01 7:52 PM
in reply to: #867962

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: YMCA Y Freedom Sprint Triathlon

That sure is a fast swim for taking it easy!  And a smokin' bike as always.

Yankz!  Yankz!  Yankz!  Figured I would reinforce, even though you already know the obvious. 

The run will come.  I definitely think you're putting in the right training for it.

A very solid performance, especially considering you weren't feeling up to par.

2007-07-01 7:58 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Sorry to hear about your missing mojo at the beginning of the race, but I'm glad you found it on the bike .

And yes, get yankz!!!! T2s are very easy and should be super fast. Yankz rock!

Good job overall. Not every race can be a PB performance, so don't worry about it too much. You have another chance to redeem yourself in two weeks. Just so long as you get those yankz beforehand .

2007-07-02 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Hey there! Was nice to meet ya at the race.

Also don't forget to subtract 15 or so seconds from that,. :P Since the split wouldn't of been picked up till you entered transition.

Glad to see you had a good bike ride despite the rain. Wish my bike went well ;p

Well I'm sure I'll see ya around.
2007-07-02 10:15 PM

User image

One word.......

YANKZ!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Y Freedom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed