General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge (5K Swim) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacific Open Water Challenge (5K Swim) - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Beach, California
United States
International City Racing, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up at 3:30AM to drive up to Long Beach to Late Register for the race. I decided to do it at the last minute to do the 5k Swim as a final tuneup for Lake Placid and since I was already there, would do the 5k also.
Event warmup:

Did the 5k Run at 8:00 AM and had a quick shot of nutrition before heading down to the beach for a quick dip in the water.

This race was no-wetsuits and so I getting used to the water is a bit more of an issue. Water quality seemed OK. Water was very brackish and saltier than the ocean. (It is in a protected harbor)
Swim
  • 1h 38m 35s
  • 5468 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The plan was to maintain an easy "Ironman" pace for as long as I could hold it, which was hopefully for the entire swim. Was hoping to get some good "Combat Swimming" experience and maybe also some additional drafting practice.

I started toward the back because I noticed that the field is full of High School and College swimmers with the local USAS clubs and they are going to be blazing fast. (This turned out to be a great choice)

Start went well and was able to find a nice piece of water to swim in without getting kicked or bashed. (Plenty of bubbles though) After the 1st turn I was able to draft behind a guy for what turned out to be the better part of the first mile. Did not take much effort and his pace and sighting seemed right on. (Did not touch his feet once I and I bet he never knew I was there)

Then my draft buddy started to swim off course and slow a bit so I moved over and passed him. Still maintaining a very comfortable pace at this point but having problems sigting the last bouy as it is getting lost in the visual clutter of the pier.

The second mile started off fine but I did start to notice a bit of a current. I had to put a lot more effort into staying on course.

On the backside of the course the ride got very bumpy and after the race I figured out why. (Jet Ski Rec area is right next to the back side of the course) getting tossed about and am constantly having to sight and adjust course.

About 3/4 the way into the 2nd lap I get clobbered by a group of swimmers who I guessed was the lead pack. They just swam right over me and kept right on going :(

That is what I was here for after all; To get used to getting clobbered while trying to maintain proper form. The 2nd mile finished up and a quick glance at my watch and I was right on schedule pace wise.

3rd mile got tough as the current picked up and the Chop really started tossing me around. Was having a lot of trouble staying on course and had to sight about every 10 seconds and adjust. (Felt like I was spinning in circles)

As I rounded the last bouy and headed toward the beach, I finally started to feel some fatigue and labor in my breathing but figured it was mostly from bursting to the finish.

Ran up the beach and into an almost empty finish corral. I was not DFL at best the front of the BOPers. Jeez those USAS folks are fast. The lead pack all finished this darn thing in well less than 1 hour. (I was really out of my league)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a tuneup race and time/place was not part of the goals. The goal was to practice IM Pacing and I would have been very pleased with my performance had the first 2.4 miles been IMLP. (Given the conditions this would have been ~ 1:15 Finish Time)

I still had plenty of gas in the tank at the finish and considered taking off for my planned 17 mile run right there.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some nutrition and headed home to take a quick nap and the head out for my 17 mile run.

Gordo Byrn recommends a longer workout after a race like this was a great workout. I was definitely not disappointed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was still carrying a lot of fatigue into this swim and rounded out 13,000 yards for the week. (A Taper would definitely have helped)

Residual fatigue from my 5k run earlier in the morning as well as accumulated fatigue from 6 months of IM Training certainly did not help.

Event comments:

This was the 1st year of this event and my hope is that it will continue. There are not many 5k Swim races here in SoCal and this one is very convenient.

I will be back next year but I doubt it will be an "A" Race. I will be recovering from CdA a week earlier. (Unless they change the date)

I was missing from the results and the final Mile split and final time are a bit long. (I forgot to stop my watch at the finish) I EMailed the RD and hopefully they get things worked out. (My official time should be about 1 minute quicker)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:38:35 | 5468 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Mile 1: 30:05 (1:43/100) Mile 2: 30:37 (1:44/100) Mile 3.1: 37:53 (1:57/100)
Suit: None
Course: 1 Mile Rectangular Course in Long Beach Harbor. (3 Loops)
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Pacific Open Water Challenge (5K Swim)

2007-07-02 8:12 PM
in reply to: #869662

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge (5K Swim)
Residual fatigue from my 5k run earlier in the morning as well as accumulated fatigue from 6 months of IM Training certainly did not help.

Didn't help yesterday maybe, but just wait until July 22.

Nice catching up with you. Great job yesterday in all your endeavors.
2007-07-03 1:36 PM

User image

Nice report Tim, sounds like perfect IMLP training, heading into taper
2007-07-03 1:51 PM
in reply to: #870885

Champion
South Jersey

Good job. It sounds like it turned out to be the perfect training session !

Nice work with the drafting and sighting. I've done OWS races before too and, yes, we are way out of our league. Those "swimmers" are awesome. Keep up the good work with your taper. You're gonna do great on July 22!!

2007-07-03 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Fantastic job.

I had trouble wrapping my mind around your log entries -- 5K run, 5K swim... then 17 mile run!  Totally nuts, leading me to conclude that WaterDogg is the new Fleeb... don't tell Aaron though.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge (5K Swim) Rss Feed