General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first tri in 2 weeks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-27 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: first tri in 2 weeks?
First of all hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been thinking of doing a tri for a while now but was always sort of intimidated and always felt like I could be in 'better' shape. All of a sudden I learned about this thing called a sprint triathlon and I figured this was the perfect way to try out the sport and get a feel for how triathlons go. My question is this, the last event of the season is in 2 weeks and I don't feel like waiting till spring. I already run and bike on a regular basis. I'm also in the gym lifting usually 2 days a week. I haven't swum on a regular basis in years, but I was a decent sprinter in high school (I'm 22 now). I know I won't be as fast now as I used to be, but I know I can make it the 1/4 mile without drowning.
I think I have convinced myself that I will try this but I need to know if 2 weeks is enough time to prepare. I really have no idea what kind of equipment I would need. Do triathletes wear their swimsuit for the bike ride and run? What all happens in the transitions? What about socks, shoes, underwear etc? Not looking to spend big bucks on elite apparel but I don't want to be sorry I did it the next day with blisters and chaffing and whatnot. Also, what should I carry on my bike? Patch kit? extra tube? pump? Do those cheap snap on aero bars work or not? Finally what sort of time goal should I set for myself? I don't expect to be near the top but I want to do better than just finishing. Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate any help y'all could give me. Thanks!

2004-09-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #66932

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: first tri in 2 weeks?
I wear my swimsuit for the whole thing (see side picture). Really, for a sprint, you won't experience blisters or chaffing. I never have.

Some place on this site is a list of things to bring. You may want to try a search.

I'm excited that you've decided to do it. For your first tri, you're goal should be just to finish and then if you want try to finish in the top half or 25% of your age group. You could also set other goals for your swim, bike and run times. For example, if you know you can run a 5k in 24:00 then set the goal to finish the run portion in that time or a bit slower b/c it's the last leg of the race. Do the same for your swim and bike.

Good luck!
2004-09-27 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
As far as clothing, the expected water temp is supposed to be 69*. I'm thinking for 1/4 mile I can easily do without a wetsuit? That being said what do I wear instead? From what I've read tri-shorts sound like a good idea, but what about a shirt? Is a singlet used for swimming? Do I even need a top for the swim?
Also, do I need a bag or anything to store my stuff?
2004-09-27 3:46 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
For a new guy, you sure ask a lot of questions. Let's see if I can hit most of 'em:

If the bike ride is less than 20 miles you can do the whole thing in a swimsuit (especially if you look as nice as Bethany ). You may be more comfortable in tri shorts, which have a minimalist pad. A singlet will be fine for the top, you may want something that is relatively tight and fast-drying if you're going to wear it in the swim. Many races will let you go shirtless, consider that if the weather allows.

Personal preference plays a big role, but many triathletes go without socks and underwear. You definitely want to have running shoes for the run, whether or not you wear cycling shoes depends on your level of experience with clipless pedals. Not needed, but more efficient. Would not go aout and buy them to use in two week, though.

Carry an extra tube, tire levers, and a means of inflation (CO2 or a pump) and know how to use them. Otherwise, a flat puts you out of the race. You also want to carry sufficient hydration on the ride, most sprints don't have water stations on the cycling portion.

Bolt-on (not "snap-on") aerobars work well, do take some getting used to for handling and access to brakes and shift levers. I wouldn't try them either if your tri is in two weeks.

Time goal? Estimate your individual event times, add 5 or so minutes for transitions and another 10%-20% for fatigue.

If you "already run and bike on a regular basis," and can swim the distance, I'd say go ahead and tri. It'll be good experience, will give you a lot to think about over the winter.
2004-09-27 4:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jayhoe, you have plenty of time to prepare! If you can already do each leg separately, you just need to learn about transitions and OW swims. I think there are a few great articles on this site that will help you a lot.

Also, if you wanted to get tri shorts, now would be a good time since they are probably on sale. Good luck and have fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first tri in 2 weeks? Rss Feed