General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike: Carpal Tunnel and lower back issues?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-27 10:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Bike: Carpal Tunnel and lower back issues??
I have a hybrid bike that I rode for my first Triathlon. I like it, but it is the wrong size and can't be adjust to fit me correctly.

I want to start to explore getting a new bike but have two medical issues that makes it harder to decide what type of bike to get. Road? Tri? A correctly fit hybrid?

I have carpal tunnel from being pregnant with twins 15 years ago. My hands easily go to sleep when I ride which is not good. I see that with a Tri bike my weight would not be on my wrists but more on my forearms.

Second, I had back surgery for a herniated disc L3-L4 in '97, so I need to be careful on my back position. My current bike has me sitting upright more, which is comfortable but slow.

I average around 14.5 mph and wonder if I go to a road or tri type bike what gains will I have in speed?

I tried a speed bike which was a road bike with hybrid type handlebars...and my hands went to sleep.

I'm going to a highly recommended bike shop that fits lots of triathletes in the area for their advice....but I hoped to get some input and ideas from those of you with similar issues.

I want to test ride bikes, but how long do you need to ride to know that the bike won't hurt your back? My hands can fall asleep within 15 minutes so a shorter ride will point out problems with my hands more easily.

Any suggestions on type/style of bikes and how to shop?
Thanks,
Kathy

2004-09-27 11:48 PM
in reply to: #67167

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Bike: Carpal Tunnel and lower back issues??
I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand and probably will eventually need it on my right hand also. In playing around with my aerobars, I find the most comfortable position is with the arm pads directly under my elbows rather than my forearms. This lets me minimize the pressure on my hands on the ends of the bars. I also wear padded bike gloves and try to move my hands around slightly on the ends of the bars every few minutes. Even so, my right hand still gets numb after about 40 minutes or so, and I need to let go and shake it out a little bit. Sometimes using my right hand to grab a water bottle for a drink is enough of a break for my hand. If my hand starts to hurt too much, I'll get up on the brake hoods for a while, but it really slows me down. My drops aren't any good at all because it puts all of my upper body weight directly on my hands & wrists.
I'm also in the market for a new bike and have tried some short test rides on a Cervelo with a bull horn/aerobar set-up. It felt pretty good, but I'd like to take some longer rides before making a final decision.
2004-11-11 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Kathy,

WOW, I don't even know where to begin or what to tell you... I have no clue. The only thing I have heard is that when testing a bike, go in full riding gear because you'll need a good 1/2 hour ride. It sounds silly, but the better bike shops will not care and will themselve highly recommend that.

Good luck and keep us posted! :0)

Millly
2004-11-11 6:37 PM

User image

Master
If you are going to a good bike shop I would just listen to the bike shop guy, take his advice, do some test rides and buy what feals best for you.
2004-11-11 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
1) try aerobars 2) wear padded gloves 3)get a bike that fits 4)if all else fails get your carpal tunnel released

Edited by sue7013 2004-11-11 8:32 PM
2004-11-11 11:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I posted this awhile back...and have bought a new bike...a Softride which works great for my back. I ride more upright than most people I think. My stem hasn't been cut and can be adjusted as I feel more comfortable on a road bike.

I haven't done a long ride, but I'm optimistic.

I do wear padded gloves that help. I did have surgery in one hand and it didn't help much since I waited 11 years to have it done.

Thanks for the ideas!
Kathy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike: Carpal Tunnel and lower back issues?? Rss Feed