United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 21h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

the night before we all left, i had scott fit me on my single speed bike (now my single speed touring bike) since my hands were in such rough shape after the ride in june. the vote was for a new stem, so i stayed up late putting on the new stem and rewrapping the bars. also got a cute wicker basket for the front.
Event warmup:

rode over to jimmy john's for some dinner, then over to dan's mom's to meet up with the other riders.
Bike
  • 21h 00m
  • 297.4 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

this was a lot harder than in june. it was a much bigger group - me, joe, dan, scott (who did the whole thing FIXED! what a nut), gabe, spencer, and michael. bigger group meant that there was more fluctuations in energy levels at various times, which made for some grouchy moments. june, when it was just dan, joe, and me, was a lot more fun. this still had fun moments, but it was a tough journey for sure.

bike felt more comfortable than last time...but since more of my weight was shifted off my hands (which was very good), more was on my a$$ and i have some pretty amazing saddle sores. was still able to ride the next day, so i'll live. shifting around to make my behind happy put added stress on my knees, so my right knee was REALLY hurting around forest lake to hugo and that's the main reason i decided to bail in hugo. i'm sure the humidity and heat also played a role in the saddle sores and sore knee. anyway, riding 20+ miles as an isolated leg drill just didn't appeal to me at all. so, joe and i got a ride from hugo. little did i know that the rest of the crew bailed too, about 4 miles ahead of us. scott actually passed out after standing up too fast, and michael had numb hands AND a sore knee. good times.

i almost crashed too. the munger trail is long and flat and straight...'cept where it isn't. ha ha. there is one hilly curvy section, which we hit in the dark early morning hours when we were all half asleep. i stopped to pee and then hauled ass to catch up, going about 20-22 mph. passed scott (who could only go so fast on his fixed)...and then strained my eyes trying to see the others' red blinkies up the trail. i didn't see anything and was really confused when WHOOOSH WHIPWHIPWHIPWHIP WEEEEEEEE...off the trail i went into tall grass. i am VERY lucky that it wasn't a friggen cliff! i didn't crash, but it took me a minute to stop the bike and hike out of the shrubs and grass and get back on the trail. scott saw the whole thing and we had a good old laugh about it. when we caught up to everyone else, guess what - THEY had crashed! well, gabe and spencer anyway. gabe's wheel was way out of true, but luckily they are all bike mechanics! hee hee. fixed up the wheel, taped up spencer's finger (which hyperextended), and off we went again - all with our lights ON.

only one person dropped out - spencer had a broken axel. scott macgyvered it to get him up the hill to carleton, but he had to bail after that. everyone else made it w/ only minor aches and pains. so, one newbie has joined the ranks of the duluth crew. michael was a STUD riding the whole thing on an old schwinn w/ platform pedals and tennies. the duluth roster now reads: glenn (founder), dan (4 rides, 5 attempts), joe (4 rides), scott (5 rides? 1 attempt on fixed, 2nd successful attempt on fixed), ken (1st to do it fixed, not sure how many rides total), gabe (2 rides), autumn (2 rides, first woman), and michael.

can't believe i did it again. since everyone bailed in hugo, it was declared that i really am the first women to make it to duluth and back (since in june we only made it to carleton). anyway, we might actually ride up again in august to go see wilco...assuming my saddle sores have healed by then :)
What would you do differently?:

do a second fitting on the bike after the stem change. bring even MORE shammy butter. :)
Post race
Warm down:

went to a party on snail lake and watched drunk people blow stuff up. it was fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

haaa haaa ahaaaaaa. its 300 miles on a loaded single speed, you tell me why i didn't go faster!

Event comments:

"why did she do this?" you might be asking. well, this ride takes place annually to honor glenn, a county cycle regular who did this ride several times a year on his own. he would stop much less, didn't have all the high tech crap we have, and would get by on bologna sandwiches and cokes, not HEED and power bars. he died of cancer, and now this ride is for him. since i didn't know glenn, i ride for him AND for my own father...on his old bike, to ride the miles he can't because of his MS. i rode these miles to feel the joy of the cold northern minnesota air, the feeling of riding towards home, to watch the sun come up, to be on my own moving through space, and to be with people i adore.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Biking
21:00:00 | 297.4 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: up to duluth from st. paul. various roads over to hugo, then the sunshine happy trail (love that name) to north branch, then on 61 to hinkley, and the munger trail from hinkley to duluth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-06 7:52 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: Duluth Ride Round 2

2007-07-06 8:47 PM
in reply to: #875316

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Duluth Ride Round 2

You rock Autumn and are a little nuts which is most excellant!

Riding in Minnesota as a kid is when I first fell in love with riding...now I have it back. I'll be there next month and riding a lot around Bemidji!

Hope your sores heal and you continue to have a blast on a bike

Edited by KathyG 2007-07-06 8:48 PM
2007-07-06 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Lemme get this straight...you did 300 miles?  Good lord, you're 1) incredible, 2) indestructible, and 3) one hop short of being an old radonneur. Fight the power.

And there's something sooo hot about a woman that can change her own stem. Just sayin'.

Congrats on a fantastic, err, race? Autumn.

2007-07-07 10:13 AM
in reply to: #875375

User image

molto veloce mama
nope. 297.4.
2007-07-07 12:02 PM

User image

Elite
Nice job and a great read.
2007-07-08 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN

wow.. straight and flat sounds inviting.. with a few hills huh?  almost 300 miles.. holy crap....  your my idol.

... where does one sign up for this tri-annual ride.. (3 x a year? )

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duluth Ride Round 2 Rss Feed