Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 56s
Overall Rank = 23/90
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

I began by sleeping through my alarm and waking up 30 minutes late. Damn. Grabbed my stuff, a cup of coffee and a package of strawberry Pop Tarts to eat on the 1 hr drive to the event. Got checked in and set up my transition area with about 30 minutes to spare. It worked out alright...except the choice for breakfast (Pop Tarts) which would prove to be less than optimal nutrition for a race.
Event warmup:

Put the wet suit on and swam out to the first buoy and back (400m), I wanted to get a good warmup, but in hindsight, I should have opted for a bit shorter warmup. Who knows.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time trial start, 10 seconds between swimmers. I felt OK heading out to the first buoy (200m) Was working fairly hard, but it felt sustainable. Swam straight and my form felt decent. Rounded the first buoy and over to buoy #2. Still working pretty hard, but was in a good groove. As I approached the second buoy, I encounter a bit of traffic as 6-8 swimmers were right around the buoy. I had to slow and breast stroke trying to pick a route through the congestion and around the buoy. It was then that I lost it. As I began the last 200 back to shore, I could not find a groove at all. Felt exhausted, a bit of panic, no more groove, couldn't swim straight, my stroke fell apart. The last 200 was quite difficult; HR was racing, form was terrible...it sucked. By the time I hit the beach, I was really struggling. Had about a 300m run from the swim finish to T1, I was able to jog but HR was way to high, I had worked way too hard and I knew it. I had hoped for a much better swim and I knew I had wasted way to much effort and I would be paying for it later.
What would you do differently?:

I need to improve my form and build a better base for swimming endurance. I felt like I ran out of gas the last 200m. This will take much more work...
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Had a bit of difficulty getting my left foor out of the wetsuit, but not too bad. I was still pissed about loosing it on the swim and didn't focus very well, but I didn't make any major mistakes. While there is still considerable room for improvement, this transition was certainly better than my first one.

Might need to cut a couple inches off the wetsuit legs.
Bike
  • 37m 28s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was an out and back over rolling hills. A moderate headwind out, tailwind back and several nice long straight sections. I was pissed from the crappy swim and went hard on the bike. I didn't wear my HR monitor, but knew I was riding at race pace. I did get passed by the overall winner right before the turn around, I stayed with him for about a mile then just let him go- would have required too much to match his speed. As it was, I was a little worried I would not have enough left for a good run, but I decided I would deal with that later. I had a bottle of Cytomax I had intended to drink on the bike...but it was mostly frozen because I had over slept and left it in the freezer too long. Overall, I had the 2nd fastest bike and am pleased. I could have gone harder, but not much. My issues are not with the bike...

Make sure I get up in time to get the Cytomax out of the freezer a little sooner- it's hard to drink frozen Cytomax.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Better than the last (first) one a few weeks ago. Helmet off, bike shoes off, running shoes on, race belt and hat and I was off.
Run
  • 25m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Not the run I had been hoping for. I was basically in survival mode for the whole run, never felt like I had good legs. I was passed several times and just didn't have anything to respond. Disappointing.

My theory is that I expended too much energy on the swim, and it caught up to me on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, Gatorade and a breakfast burrito. Hung out an cheered on the remaining finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had been hoping for a better performance. I actually thought, if all went well, I could place in my age group. As it turned out, my performance was not up to my expectation, and my age group was pretty darn competitive. My time, disappointing though it was, would have placed top three in 30-34, 35-39 and 40-44. I was more than 5 minutes from top 3 in the 45-49..not even close.

Again, like a broken record, my swim is very weak....and my run is not much better. I also recognize that real improvement will take many more base miles, and probably several seasons. I must be patient and take a longer term perspective, as difficult as it is at times. I am a reasonably strong cyclist, but have been riding and occasionally racing bikes for more than 10 years. Tens of thousands of miles. I have been running and swimming for three months....

I will also stay with my tried and true breakfast of oatmeal and a banana- no poptarts (maybe ever again). The taste of strawberry poptarts trying to make their way back up is not pleasant.

Event comments:

Very well organized and well managed. Great race. I will definitely be looking forward to this one next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 500 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 59/90
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Rectangular.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:28 | 14 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 2/90
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:44 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 35/90
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 11:58 AM

Timnath Colorado,
Subject: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: #877431

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

Looks like overall you had a pretty good race.  The swim and run just are tough for cyclist to adapt to.  I don't know if I will ever be fast on the swim or run.  And now even my bike times aren't what they used to be.  Oh well.  Some day.  

Good job.  Maybe I'll see you next year.  Still have a few years before I race in the fast group.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed