General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying motivated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-12 6:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Staying motivated
How do you folks keep making yourself get up early and do your training? I have hit a wall this week it seems and I just haven't wanted to do anything. Some mornings I can't even get out of bed, so I skip the am training and do it in the evening when I get home from work.

When I skip the am workouts, I feel terrible all day long and more tired than if I had just gotten up and done the workout. My tri isn't for another month, but I am just not into the training all of a sudden. I think/hope it will change here shortly, and I am guessing all I can do it just back off a little bit during the sessions and go a little easier and let my body recover. Maybe I am just getting a little too much, I dunno.

-Eric

2007-07-12 7:47 AM
in reply to: #882354

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-12 7:53 AM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Staying motivated

Extrinsically: 

I'm number 8 in my local tri series AG standings now. I have beaten the #2 guy on the bike. We're going to do the same race in a little over a month. I'm gunning for top 5.

Intrinsically:

running cracking the 7:00 m/mi again
swimming cracking the 1:30 m/100
cycling 20+ mph avg

It's all in the numbers. Having a yardstick to measure progress is very important.

2007-07-12 8:00 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI
I agree with the other posters, but will add that for me and most triathletes I know, there are occasional "down" periods in motivation.  For me, they usually last 3-4 days and then I'm OK again.  I would bet you're the same and you'll snap out of your little mini-funk in no time.  Good luck and try to work through it.
2007-07-12 8:05 AM

Expert
Manchester, NH
I think you're doing the right thing. I saw on your log you're taking it easy today.  Take a couple days really slow, and just enjoy the movement. Don't worry about watches and mph and everything. Kick but in your 5k,and you should be motivated again!
2007-07-12 8:20 AM

No worries, I think everyone goes through a funk. I'm just pulling out of one myself - the last few days I've had NO desire to get up early, so I've gone back to sleep when the alarm goes off, and worked out in the evening. But this morning, I got up at 5am to bike with a friend of mine, who's a lot faster than I am, so that kind of got me excited to wake up when it was still dark out Maybe plan to get up early to do something "fun", like a particular bike route you enjoy, or run with a friend - I know most triathletes don't train with others, but once in a blue moon it won't kill you and knowing that you're accountable to the other person will make you get up. You just have to force yourself back into the pattern.

2007-07-17 8:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks all for the replies. I thought I would post back an quick update. I ran my 5k on Saturday and for me it was a great race. I cut over 2 minutes off my previous time and the course was a bit more hilly than my first race on the 4th of July! My time wasn't stellar...25:50, but none the less I was happy with it.

I then decided to take the rest of the weekend off and just relax and not train. When I went to get up and go riding on Monday morning, my tires were flat and not time to change them. So I went down and rode the stationary bike which wasn't too bad. The really good news comes from this morning. I was scheduled for a 45 minute run and I had a fantastic run! Again not stellar times, not the farthest I have run, but I just felt great. I felt really strong during the run and even felt like I could have gone further. The run this morning has me excited again and I am looking forward to things again. Hopefully it will continue.

Thanks again for all the support folks. This is why I love the site. When you need a little pick me up, there are always folks here to help out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying motivated Rss Feed