Muncie Endurathon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 17m 46s
Overall Rank = 131/529
Age Group = male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/66
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, bananas, Clff bar, got to transition 5:30 - setup by 6:30. Sat and listened to Ipod for awhile.
Event warmup:

Light jog, light stretching.
Swim
  • 37m 11s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the roughest OW swim I have done. Navigation was tough, especially having the sun in my face for the last 400-600y, everyone was bobbing and looking for the beach on that leg. I ran into 5-6 guys while they were doing that. Personnally, I swam fast, the last 200y I felt calf cramps but they subsided quickly, I was probably starting to get overheated in the wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

My navigation was best for what I had to deal with, not much different regardless. I think I didn't stray too far from the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Good transiton, I was middle of the pack on this but I deliberately took my time, I was planning to zip through T2. I wanted to get a good start on the bike, I put my gloves on as I rode and then settled in to a good first half pace.

Nothing. This was going according to plan
Bike
  • 2h 45m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I got a decent start out of transition, pace was too hard the first 10 miles but with a strong tailwind I wanted a good headstart. Coming south was ok, the wind was not a huge factor at this point, I avg'd 19.5 going down. The headwind to the turn was strong, I was glad to get out of that. Heading back was fast, but I started to cramp in the last 4 miles. I maintained the aero position 90-95% of the time, that was good too.

More salt/sodium than I usually have. The cramps surpised me, especially quad cramps - never had those before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I smoked this transition, I went so fast I did a double check since it seemed too good. My wife couldn't even catch me to get a picture as I came out. It felt good to get the transitions perfected.

Nada.
Run
  • 1h 51m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out per plan, 7:30-7:40 to the turn then I was going to "try" and pick it up. Nope. I made the turn and felt ok, but around mile 10 I started to crash. I walked through the last two aide stations and the cramping was crazy. I fought through those and then the evil course designer left a hill to climb for the finish. I saw my father-in-law at the bottom and screamed "Get me up this hill!" he whooped me into a frenzy and I took the hill and finished my first 1/2 IM! (then crashed again)

SALT TABLETS. I thought I had the sodium thing figured out through training. This was a big lesson. My mistake is that my Infinit drink had a load, but I did not take it on the run - ouch. All I used was on-course Gatorade, water and Gu's - not enough. I will not make that mistake again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked slowly, chugged gatorade, hung out in the waterspray tent, and ate bananas, many many bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Electrolytes and sodium intake in the last 6 miles. I probably biked harder than I should have.

Event comments:

I don't have much to go on, but I will say this race was very well organized, had a load of great volunteers all over, and was a fantastic first 1/2 IM for me. I will highly recommend this to anyone. All the other athletes agreed it was a very challenging course, especially the run and was very well ran.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:11 | 2310 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/66
Overall: 0/529
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca speedsuit
Course: Straight out 400y, right turn for eternity, then two 45 deg turns in the last 800y back to beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:45:08 | 56 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/66
Overall: 180/529
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Around resevoir, NE for a few miles, then south/southeast to Losantville, west to the turn and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/66
Overall: 140/529
Performance: Average
Course: Out south past resevoir, then north/north west to turn and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 6:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2007-07-15 3:40 PM
in reply to: #886251

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Awesome race. You really got the transitions down and had a great swim.
2007-07-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #886251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
It is really something to be at an event with all of you that are doing the 1/2 IM. A small group of us Sprint guys were huddled (not literally) like sheep in our transition area watching all of you setting up for the race. We are totally inspired by athletes just like you and hope to be good enough to join the ranks one of these years.

I think the swim was rough for everyone- especially when the wind picked up and white-capped the waves, and even at 200yds out the sun was in a terrible spot. But you powered right through it and into a great planned transition.

I'm not knowledgable enough to be accurate about the salt tabs vs. electrolytes, but there are a couple of threads on BT regarding each that you should check out before assuming it's a lack of (only) Sodium in your system.

Great job on your successful completion! You had a good race and you'll be even better next year now that you know what to expect.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed