General Discussion Race Reports! » Brampton "Run for the Rose" 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brampton "Run for the Rose" 1/2 Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log
Brampton, Ontario
Canada
The Running Room
17C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 26s
Overall Rank = 255/312
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 56/60
Pre-race routine:

Prerace routine:

Got up at about 5:15am and had my bagel and peanut butter and OJ and left at about 5:45am. I wanted to be at the race location by about 6:30am - 6:45am. Took a nice drive to Brampton and parked under ground at the Rose Theatre (where the race finish line was). Changed out of my sandals and into the runners and walked out to the finish area to get my timing chip. Met some runners I know and we stood around and chatted and then walked to the start line.

Event warmup:

Walking to the start line and then a light jog for a few hundred metres to loosen the legs. Main area of my concern is the achilles, so spend a little more time on stretching it out before the start.

Lined up and listened to "Oh Canada" and then we were off.

Race Details:

Started near the front of the pack and got into a nice rythm of about 5:30 pace. This pace is fast for a start, but I felt good so went with it, knowing that I would slow down later on. Kept the rythm going and ran for the first 5k without a break. Then I started to do 10/1's that I kept to pretty well throughout the rest of the race. The pace did slow down in the second half, but felt surprisingly good.

There was lots of water stations (every 3K) and tons of support and volunteers on the course. The Police had a great presence on the route and were at pretty well every single junction. I thanked all the cops and the volunteers as I passed them, so that took my mind of the run.

Race Organisation:

The race was really well organised and run. As mentioned above, lots of water stations, vounteers and cops. Some of the residents in some areas were a little annoyed at being stuck at the junctions, but not as bad as the Toronto races get.

Food was plentiful and there were lots of prizes at the end (I didn't win anything). Overall, for a first year race, this was great and I will likely do it again next year.

The weather was perfect for this race. It was about 17c and sunny with some cloudy periods. It would have been a harder race if the it had been as hot as last weekend.

I would recommend this race to anyone for next year.

Run
  • 2h 21m 26s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 42s  min/km
Comments:

Race Details:

Started near the front of the pack and got into a nice rythm of about 5:30 pace. This pace is fast for a start, but I felt good so went with it, knowing that I would slow down later on. Kept the rythm going and ran for the first 5k without a break. Then I started to do 10/1's that I kept to pretty well throughout the rest of the race. The pace did slow down in the second half, but felt surprisingly good.

There was lots of water stations (every 3K) and tons of support and volunteers on the course. The Police had a great presence on the route and were at pretty well every single junction. I thanked all the cops and the volunteers as I passed them, so that took my mind of the run.

What would you do differently?:

Train for this distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and walking around the finish are. Had some food and water.

Event comments:

Good race and will do it again next year, but will train properly first.

Last updated: 2007-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:26 | 21.1 kms | 06m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/312
Performance: Below average
Course: Circuit on the city streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Brampton "Run for the Rose" 1/2 Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brampton "Run for the Rose" 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed