United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 52m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Gosh I am getting tired of writting this prerace routing...
Got up.. shower, I definitly cannot operate if I don't shower in the morning. Is one of those things that I must do before i step out of the door. I know I will be drenched in sweat and dirt in no time, but I got to shower. :) I am clean freak, what can I say... Ate two energy bagels and drove to the site.
One of the things I like about going to these races is the fact that the drives are amazing in California. I love to see the mountains and the beutiful scenery in the morning (before the traffic gets nasty)..
Arrived to Tiburon and since the race was in Angel Island, bought a ferry ticket and proceeded to board the ferry... it was a little chilly in the morning.
Event warmup:

opened my bag, got my sunscreen and proceeded to applied it to my body. No much of a event warmup..
Run
  • 5h 52m
  • 31.07 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had done a 50K the previous week, so I did not know how my body was going to take another 50K. I struggled all week long thinking about doing this, at the end I felt OK so I decided to do it anyway. I signed up for the 25K only and I had the idea that if I felt good I was going to do the 50K.

Started slow and soon I found my rhythm, for some reason I like to be right in the front, it makes me go faster at the beginning since there are people behind me that will push me and I simply have to keep up with the folks ahead of me. After a little while (first three miles) the the field has already spread up pretty well and then the I start letting people passing me knowking that there is no way I can keep up with them. Usually my goal is NOT to let people pass me after the first 6 miles or so... This time my body was a little tired from the weekend before so I decided to take it easy.

Finish the first loop in no time and I felt really good, and I skipped the aid station and continue onto the second loop. The second loop was a little more technical, but I managed to keep a good pace and when I finihsed the second loop I stopped at the aid station and got some refuling. Bananas, orange juice a little bit of coke and of course the famous boiled potatoes dipped in sea salt.
Did the third loop which took us to the summit of Angel Island, and I had to stop for a little while and simply contemplate nature.. It was an amazing sight.

After I finished the third loop (25K) I decided to continue and just do the whole 50K, At the aid station I hydrated well, and took some goodies for the road and tackle the three loops once again. I met this guy and he is a cyclist (roadie) and we were talking about triathlons and stuff and he said that triathlon bicycling is Bull$H!t... "that is not real bycicling". I was like.. huh? I laughed and I don't remember what I said but basically I told him that anybody can hold to the back of the pack and draft its way to the finish line. He laughed and soon I realized that no matte what I was going to say he was not going to change his mind, so I just pressed on and left him behind.. I finished like 15 minutes ahead of him...
Finished this one and I am already thinking of the next one in two weeks.. I also signed for my first 50Miler in two months.. I cannot wait...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.... wait.... run faster..
Post race
Warm down:

Met a couple of people at this race, a japanese gal and her trainer.. They were great people and together we went to this Mexican Restaurant in Tiburon and ate. Ah... Great food.
I even had a margarita... :)

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Running
05:52:00 | 31.07 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course consisted of two a trail run not very technical but with almost 5000 feet of elevation gain. The island is pretty small, so the course consisted of one aid station around three different loops. The 50K consisted of doing these three loops two times...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Angel Island UIltramarathon (50K)

2007-07-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: #887515

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Angel Island UIltramarathon (50K)
I just stumbled onto your race report.  How cool.  I've done some of the shorter envirosports trail runs and have eyed some of the ultras.  looks like you've been having a blast doing them.  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angel Island UIltramarathon (50K) Rss Feed