General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire wear from trainer. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-02 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Tire wear from trainer.
I have a question regarding indoor trainers. I realise that there's quite abit of rubber debris left on the ground after using the trainer. Do you guys have the same issue? The trainer is rubbing the middle section of my rear tire flat...so much so that now the center portion of my tire is smmoooth and flat....i'm alittle concerned. Will be quite irritating to have to change tires each time I use the trainer.

Should I be changing to a rim-drive trainer? or is what I'm experiencing a common issue?

Thanks everyone!

2004-10-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: #68778

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Tire wear from trainer.
I'm going to be a first-time purchaser as well as user of a trainer this winter. May I ask which one you use so I can stay FAR away from it?
2004-10-02 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I have a Cyclops Fluid trainer that I put my old bike on. I don't ever recall seeing rubber on the ground after using it but the mat I have it on is black so I just might not notice it. Regardless, a trainer is going to chew up a tire due to the friction and how the whole system sets up. My back wheel on my old bike is very smooth now. I've heard that a lot of people have a 2nd wheel/tire they use just for the trainer so they don't mess up the one they ride outside. I ended up just keeping my old bike when I bought a new one and that's what I use on the trainer.

Hope this helps.
2004-10-02 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

My old Minoura trainer used to make the rubber fly.  My new Tacx trainer does it a little bit, but I just make sure I change my tires to my "trainer tires" from about now (ack!!) to May.

Jen

2004-10-02 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Trainer lesson learned the hard (stupid??) way:

First off, my second time on the trainer I rode the bike right off the stand.

Third time, when I moved the trainer I saw what I thought was a grease mark on the carpet and didn't worry about it (I have invested in a great carpet cleaner because ... well I need it!), but it was later discovered it was a black burn mark from my tire .... I'm not very popular in the house right now  

My understanding is that yes,  you will likely want to replace the tire in the spring if you use the trainer alot. Your in Michigan - are you planning to be riding in the snow? I'm not going to,  so I can leave the bike on my trainer come November ... but with proper underlay of course.

2004-10-02 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

I have a Fluid Ops trainer.  I found out, through trial and error, that the wear problem was occuring because I did not clamp the bike (rear wheel) down tight enough.  This allowed the rear wheel to move back and forth, causing excessive wear between the tire and the resistance wheel on the trainer.  I tightened up the clamping mechanism that goes over the rear spindle and it fixed the problem.  There was still some wear, but no more flying bits of rubber.  Also, I've seen tires advertised for trainers that are harder and thicker than normal street tires.

Hope that helps.

By the way, Sann, were you wearing a helmet when you crashed on your trainer?

2004-10-02 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Mine is Minoura Hyper Mag, hmm..yeah..I'm been surfing the net trying to find out the reason. Will clamp it tighter the next time and see what happens.

Yeah, not going to be riding it in the snow, I treasure my life...ahahah

I'm using a 650c tire and I can't seem to find any cheap ones around for a trainer tire...

Arghz....I hate the flying rubber bits!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire wear from trainer. Rss Feed