General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Houston Racing Triathlon Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 06m 37s
Overall Rank = 37/380
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

went to bed at 11p and then had some friends decide it would be funny to start drunk calling me at 0100, told them i was racing in the morning which they didn't really seem to care about. told them i had to be up at 0400 to drive to Katy for a race and they finally relented and stopped ringing my phone but it was too late, i never got back to sleep so i watched tv until the alarm went off. could kill them sometimes. drove over and picked up Rebecca who wanted to come and watch. stopped at Whataburger for my now routine breakfast taquito and made my way to Katy. had lots of time to wonder what it was going to feel like doing a tri on 2-3 hours of sleep.
Event warmup:

got in the pool and did a little swimming.
Swim
  • 05m 31s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was a good swim for me. not my fastest but i enjoyed it more. did a couple of the things i have learned recently and it made the swim more fun. last year was 6:25 so i shaved off 54 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

going to stay in the water and work on my mechanics. i think its completely possible to shave off another minute.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

the entrance to T1 was a nice distance from the pool. i didn't race it but i didn't really go slow either. was 8/32 for the effort. last years T1 was 2:09.
Bike
  • 34m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.09 mile/hr
Comments:

beat last years 36:56 (-2:48) but i expected that i would do that. it was raining again, thats 3 for 3 in my last few races. no one passed me but today it seemed a gargantuan effort to maintain speed. i just didn't have the juice. this speed isn't out of line with what i am doing this year so while the perceived effort was higher, my performance wasn't really that different. i could feel my hamstring trying to be uncomfortable and this may have affected me as well. overall i am satisfied though.

looking back now i see that i didn't have a T2 time from last year, they combined it into the bike ride. i now think i probably rode about the same.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

this probably would have been my best T2 ever but for one small glitch. spent about 10-15 seconds getting my shoes comfortable when the little clip thing pulled into the shoe and between the top of my foot and the shoe. i had to get it out of there and that took some time but i am still ok with the performance.

get the laces perfected sometime before 11pm the night before the race.
Run
  • 24m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

29:27 was the time to beat from last year and i did it soundly. todays run was not the fastest this year but it was the best feeling of any ever in spite of the fact that i was running with an injury. i breathed easier and felt more comfortable than ever. it was actually almost enjoyable and that told me as i finished that i probably could have gone harder. no regrets though, i think that the plan my coach has me on is sound and will produce faster run times if i do what i am supposed to do.
Post race
Warm down:

sat under the pavillion and drank beer and ate pizza. talked to many new people, seems i am getting more familiar with and spending time with more people after these races. Met two of my rivals, Dave D. and Scott V.M. both are guys who's names i recognize from seeing them in the results all the time. Dave is pretty dang fast and i will have to wait until next year to beat him. the other Dave that i have been trading wins with got me by a bit more than a minute today, we are very evenly matched, i kill him on the bike but he wipes the ground with me on the run. i'm gonna get him in october, mark my words. one other rival that has beaten me 5 times in 5 meetings finally went down today. i hope to keep that trend going too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

level of rest, my leg, and a run that is still dragging me down.

Event comments:

i am still not happy about how hard it seems for them to get the timing down pat. we like to see our results quickly, not the next day. other races seem to be able to have everything ready and online before i even get home.

even though i rated this race as an "ok" performance i guess i should be feeling pretty good. i am 37th out of over 300 people and last year i was 126th. i bettered my time by 8:19 which i should be happy about. i have two months now to recover before my next race.

Last updated: 2007-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:31 | 328 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/32
Overall: 0/380
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto tri shorts
Course: pool swim, normal serpentine path through the pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:08 | 12 miles | 21.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/32
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: mostly an out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:31 | 03 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/32
Performance: Good
Course: out and back, past the park and another out and back going the other way. lots of grass and mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 5:51 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

2007-07-17 9:40 PM
in reply to: #890153

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

Big time congrats Rob!  You blew last year's time out of the water without being in tip-top shape.  And you finished in the top 10% of the field....something I consider a big accomplishment.

But Whataburger as breakfast...man, that just turns my stomach.  I don't know how you do it.

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed