Chattanooga, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
Total Time = 2h 59m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 78/118
Pre-race routine:

Got up loaded gear, checked-out, and drank an Ensure on the way to race site.
Event warmup:

Walked from transition to swim start. When 300# racers started (I was 775), I ran around the field for 10min to get the heart pumping.
Swim
  • 32m 27s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

This time trial start was different. After getting in the water you had to swim up to a guy at the end of the dock give your race number and wait for the "go." After a few strokes I remembered I didn't start my watch, so stopped to do that. My plan was to swim a little easier and let the current do most of the work. However, when I realized that the "current" didn't exist, I picked up the pace. I was navigating well, going for the straight line. I noticed that several people ahead of me had swung right and more towards the center of the river. I thought that someone had bad navigation skills and others followed but later found out that that was where the current was "supposed" to be. I haven't kicked much during the swims until recently, trying to save the legs for the bike and run. About half way through the swim I remembered that I should be kicking. Towards the end of the swim, the chop started to pick up but it didn't bother me much. When I was being pulled out, I got a bad cramp in my left foot that caused one of my toes to bend completely right and over another toe. Sat for a few seconds working it out which cost some time but worth it.
What would you do differently?:

I shouldn't rely on currents and I need to kick more. Will have to remember that a Nautica NYC Tri this weekend. This was my 2nd Oly, first this year and I shaved 8min off my previous swim time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Rank 17/118 in A/G. Grabbed some water running in to transition. I was near the end so got to my bike easily. Happy with my transitions but still want to be faster.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove the course the day before and the hills were more than I expected. I had to rethink my time goal because I haven't done much hill work. I decided to ride the hills as best I could without pushing it on the way out, then pick it up on the way back. This worked well for me because I came in a little faster than expected.

Comparing this to my Oly last year, is difficult. All I can say is that the Disney Oly was short, only 20 miles, and flat (1:03:29). This course was the full distance and hilly and I was about 1mph slower. So, overall happy with my performance but still need to do more hill work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

A little congestion at the dismount line got me stuck behind some people walking their bikes in the chute. Once I got to the open area I ran to my row, but got stuck again behind another walker. I asked if his rack was on the right or left. He said right so I said passing on the left and he finally moved over. Helmet off, socks and shoes on, grabbed visor, number then out.

Probably need to be more vocal when there is someone slower in front of me blocking a narrow lane. But rank is 20/118 in A/G so still happy.
Run
  • 1h 03m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned on taking slow until after the stairs. After that I tried to pick up the pace but for some reason my HR spiked to 180, so backed off a little. This happened several times and I wasn't able to keep my HR in a good range. I thought it might be because I was dehydrated so I walked through the first aid station and drank water and powerade. Started running again but couldn't keep a good pace. This happened through most of the run. Just after the last aid station, I started to get a stomach cramp on the right side and dealt with that through the finish.

I was disappointed with my run because I have been working on it the most since GCT. However, I did beat my last Oly time by 7min.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and went to transition area to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still learning to put all 3 together. I've done my share of bike/run bricks but probably should make then longer.

Event comments:

I guess I can say I have a new Oly PR. I beat my Disney Oly, 2:59:43, by 1 second. But the Disney Oly had a short bike course and was flat and Chattanooga was full length and challenging. So, even though the times don't show it, I have made progress over last year.

Hopefully, next week I will be able to show a time improvement at the NYC Tri. The only thing to worry about there is swimming in the Hudson.

Last updated: 2007-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:27 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 98/118
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course: Tennesse river "current" swim. (NOT!)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:32 | 24.85 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/118
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:26 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 90/118
Course: Out and back, mostly along riverwalk.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-18 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #891979

User image

Master
New York
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Nice race man!

And for NYC (if you get this before then), the current is RIDICULOUS! I did it last year, when I was a solid 1:45-1:50/100 swimmer. I was out of the water in 19 minutes. The current is HUGE.
2007-07-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: #891979

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Nice race, Craig, and sounds like a big improvement over Disney (relatively speaking).  Great job!!  Hope NYC went well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed