General Discussion Race Reports! » Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Interlochen, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 42m 9s
Overall Rank = 64/159
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Not really a routine since we were camping at the race venue (never done that before). Got up about 5:30. Put the coffee on the camp stove, pumped up my tires, filled up my water bottles, gathered my gear and road down to transition. Racked my bike on the outside aisle, setup transition area and got body marked. Walked back to our campsite to eat breakfast with Brandy.

Ate my normal breakfast (coffee and toast with peanut butter--BTW cooking toast on a camp stove takes awhile). About an hour before the race walked back down to transition. Double checked everything and then did my warmup.

After the warmup, started putting on my wetsuit (must have been nervous sine it took three attempts--first attempt I put it on backwards, second attempt I tried to put my leg through one of the arm wholes). Once I got the wetsuit on, walked down to the beach for the course meeting.
Event warmup:

Since I road my bike down to transition, and did a lot of walking to/from our campsite I kept the actual warmup a little short. Ran a little bit, did some running drills, stretched a little bit, followed by a little more running.
Swim
  • 32m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Have had a little trouble staying comfortable in the water this year so I started towards the outside back hoping to avoid some of the initial contact. The gun went off and I immediately found my groove. Didn't get kicked and felt totally comforatble and smooth in the water.

Weeved through a few swimmers and saw a guy in a bright yellow wetsuit who appeared to be swimming my pace. Gave a few hard pulls and caught up to him. Was able to stay in his draft until the first turn buoy (about 500m). Things got conjested here and I lost my draft; took a few glances but couldn't find him--oh well, would be on my own for awhile.

Swam the back straightaway very well. Looked for draft opportunities but couldn't find anyone who was swimming straight at the speed I wanted to go. Felt a few brushes against my legs/feet so someone had obviously latched onto me.

Last turn buoy wasn't as conjested as the first so had no problems rounding it. Was feeling good so decided to pick it up a bit. Still couldn't find any draft opportunities (still felt the occasional touch on my feet/legs though). Swam through the last buoys and kept going till I was hitting bottom with my stroke. Did one dolphin dive and the started the run to shore.

While running to shore I glanced to my side, and who do I see, but the guy in the yellow wetsuit. Turns out, he slipped behind me at the first buoy and was drafting off me the rest of the way.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was one of my better triathlon swims.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting my wetsuit unzipped during the run upto transition. This was my first race with it so that was a little expected. Eventually found the zipper and was able to get the top half down before entering transition. Ran to my rack and worked on getting the bottom half off. No real issues accept it got stuck on my heel. Slipped it off with my fingers without any problems.

Grabbed my gels and then clipped my on my race belt. Went to put on my helmet and noticed that something was terribly wrong. One half of the buckle was missing from my helmet. Frantically searched for it, but it was nowhere to be found. Improvised, and tied the straps into a lose bow and ran out of transition.

As soon as I went to hop on the bike my bow let go. Heard someone yell that the strap must be buckled before mounting. Loosened the straps so I could make a better bow, re-tied it, hopped on the bike and after what seemed like an enturnity was finally off.

Obviously check my equipment better while setting up transition. This mistake cost me at least a minute. Not sure what happened, my helmet was buckled when I road from our campsite to the transition area. It must have been just on the edge of the strap and fell off when I unbuckled it. After the race, found it laying next to my bag.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Was really ticked about having such a bad transition. Took about a half mile to totally calm down--was still ahead of my goal pace (original goal was three hours) and my strap was tight enough to protect my head in case of a crash. Nothing was really lost so it was time to get to work.

Road a comfortable pace to the first hill. Dropped down a bunch of gears to make the climb and then started to pick it up. The way out was pretty uneventful, it was raining pretty hard (to the point where it hurt on the descents) but everybody was giving pretty wide berths when passing so there were no issues. Got passed by quite a few people, but I had to run my own race.

Made it to the turn around in a little over 38 mintues. The rain was letting up and I was feeling good so tried to pick it up a little more. Things got a little dicey when we had to merge in with the sprint athletes. Going 35mph down a hill on wet roads when the athletes in front of you aren't holding very straight lines is a little scary.

The last quater of a mile is on a narrow walking trail. The rider in front of me seemed intent on coasting the whole way in the middle of the path. Had to go into the dirt a little bit to get around her. Riding in the dirt while trying to unvelcro the shoes was a little interesting.

Probably could have ridden a little harder in the beginning. Other than that it was a really good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Much better transition. Was a little worried that I would not be able to get my helmet off, but the bow let go on the first tug. Slipped out of my biking shoes, adjusted one of my socks, got into my running shoes and was off.

Nothing this was a good transition for me.
Run
  • 50m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The rain had stopped by this time but had succeeded in making it incredibly humid. Felt a little sluggish to start--wasn't too worried because I tend to feel stronger as the run progresses. Slurped down a gel right before the first aid station, wanted water to wash it down but they gave me gatorade--just tossed it out as chasing a gel with gatorade usually causes me to cramp up. Had to run to the next aid station with the taste of rasberry gel in my mouth--yuck.

Clipped off the first mile in 8:28 and was starting to feel strong. Wanted to really pick up the pace, but held back because I still had to contend with "the hill". Grabbed water at the next aid station and began to climb the hill. Felt my heart rate clibming but was not hurting nearly as bad as I thought I would--guess all the treadmill hill repeats paid off.

Made it to the top in just over 26 minutes. Walked through this aid station to get the heart rate back under control. Took in a full cup of gatorade and dumped water over my head. At this point, I knew that I would make my goal of finishing under three hours. New goal became to finish under 2:45.

Made it down the hill without incident. Slurped another gel and grabbed water at the aid station. Picked up the pace as much as I could here. Actually passed a few people during the last two miles. When we re-entered the campground I was confident that I would break 2:45 so I just tried to really enjoy myself.

Nothing this was my second fastest 10k ever.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and eventually found Brandy and the rest of my family (my sister and her son were camping with us and my parents made a marathon trip to watch me race--I have a GREAT family). Grabbed some food. Dropped my gear off at our campsite and walked back for the raffle and awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Absolutely nothing. I knocked 20 minutes off of my Olympic distance PR (which was on this course one year ago). Couldn't have asked for a better performance.

Event comments:

A good race at a beautiful venue. It was obvious that the Cherry Festival had taken away quite a few of their volunteers (aid stations could have been manned better).

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 68/159
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Triangle in a fairly shallow lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:10 | 24.85 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 82/159
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with some minor hills (I think there were three climbs in each direction). Was raining pretty hard on the way out, and the roads were obviously still wet on the way back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:08 | 06.21 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 63/159
Course: Out and back course. About half on blacktop paths and roads the other half on dirt roads. One BIG hill just before the turnaround. A relatively shady run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-20 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-07-20 7:36 PM
in reply to: #894410

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Cathrone - Congrats on smashing that goal time. I enjoyed the sprint, and now that y'all are doing such good race reports I am feeling like I should buck up and do one. I resemble that remark about the sprint athletes not keeping a straight line on the bike.
2007-07-20 10:26 PM
in reply to: #894410

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Sounds like you could use a Valet   Great ride in the rain! and to have your second best 10k after everything - awesome.  You adapt and put a number of things behind you really well. 

Keep building! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Interlochen Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed