Sri Chinmoy
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 28s
Overall Rank = 47/108
Age Group = Male Open
Age Group Rank = 31/51
Pre-race routine:

I have been having problems with my diet and early morning running and I think I have narrowed the issues down to wheat products. Basically I get the heaves if I have anything before a run which is based on wheat. So out goes the toast and any wheat based cereals. Today for the first time I have tried porridge for breakfast made with oats. It went down a treat and no more heaves, yay. I rode out to Acton Ferry where the event was held. I arrived reasonably early and was able to spend some time on warm up jogging and stretching.
Event warmup:

Ride to event 20Km, Jogging and stretching before race.
Run
  • 50m 28s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 03s  min/km
Comments:

Run went well my hill running was excellent. All my passing was done right at the base of the hills and and then I was able to sustain good passing speed on the up hills and was able to catch my breath and stride out some great distance on the down hills. I got passed 300 metres to the finish line by a sprinter. I could hear him make his move and started to stride out to make it hard for him to catch me then he was beside me, I gave it my all to stay with him but I did not have the speed or stamina. As soon as he got past I dropped down a gear. The head down shuffle.
What would you do differently?:

URINATE before the race. I had been hydrating well. And at about 1 minute to start I suddenly realised I needed to go. Oh well to late. I ran the whole 10Km with a busting bladder and possibly an additional litre of fluid I didn't need to be carting around. Hehehe well your learn something all the time. And I know I'm a beginner so this was a valuable lesson. I just hope I don't repeat the mistake.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, walking and talking to all the other competitors everybody was congratulating each other on well run racing. The guy who beat me at the finish came up and thanked me for putting up such a hard challenge. He thought he was not going to catch me. He had targeted me early in the race he said as a challenger for him. And he told me that he kept losing me on the hills and having to struggle to regain on the flats. He felt though that he knew he could take me in a finish sprint if he could keep up with me over the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A very full bladder.

Event comments:

Wow. That was lots of fun. The people after the race where all wonderful everybody congratulating each other and talking about the course and introducing themselves. It was a wonderful atmnosphere to be a part of. I was particularly impressed with my own hill performance. I noticed on every hill I was able to gain a substantial lead and do all my passing.
I have been wondering where I achieved this wonderful hill condition as I have not been particularly working on hills. And then coming home it dawned. Actually it dawned on me right at the bottom of the bloody great big hill that I live at the top of and curse everyday coming home from training when I'm tired and I just wish I lived at the bottom of the hill. Ive been hill training and I didn't even realise it. Its funny how you do training and then when you pass a point you say ok training finished and then forget about the the run home or the ride home as being included in your training.

Had a great day Woo Hooo

Last updated: 2004-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:28 | 10 kms | 05m 03s  min/km
Age Group: 31/51
Overall: 47/108
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-04 6:21 AM

User image

New user

Canberra
Subject: Sri Chinmoy Labour Day Run

2004-10-07 12:25 AM
in reply to: #69044

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: Sri Chinmoy Labour Day Run
way to go making it 51 minutes with a full bladder! (from what i hear the full bladder impedes a lot of peoples' races!)

nice job with the hill running!
2004-10-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #69044

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Sri Chinmoy Labour Day Run
Congratulations Dale, great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sri Chinmoy Labour Day Run Rss Feed