Saint Louis Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m
Overall Rank = ?/200
Age Group = ?
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Traditional bowl of low-sugar Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal and a glass of water. I got loaded up and drove the 7 minutes to the race venue to grab a good rack spot at 6AM.
Event warmup:

I actually did a warmup! This is a first. I rode about 3-4 miles on my bike at a pretty high cadence with a couple pick-ups mixed in. made sure I was in an appropriate gear for starting up a hill out of T1.
Then I stretched for a couple minutes and did a 5 minute jog around the parking lot. It felt pretty good to get loosened up completely. I really wasn't nervous for this race like I am for most. I chatted with lots of other people and stayed calm and in a good mood. I wrapped up with a little more stretching.
Swim
  • 06m 30s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal here was 7 minutes. I figured, even if it took me 7:30, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I popped out of the pool quicker than anticipated. Woohoo!
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/Super_Suby/?action=view&curr...

What would you do differently?:

I think I could afford to have a higher turnover rate. But really, I swam to the best of my abilities, so I'm really happy about it.

Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

While running from the pool to my rack, I got a hammer gel out of my pocket and gulped it down. Good execution there. It was a pretty solid transition.

Learning how to get in and out of my shoes while they're attached to the pedals might be good. I'm doing just fine without that, though.
Bike
  • 34m 50s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Rock-solid bike! I hammered it good from the get-go. The goal was to basically race this as a stand-alone bike time-trial. However, I'm sure I was holding back a little know that a hilly 5k stood in front of me. But for the most part, I really threw caution to the wind, if you will.

The first lap was pretty uneventful. The volunteers were pretty good about keeping traffic at bay while we crossed intersection after intersection. I only had trouble with one car, and the problem was that she wasn't going fast enough!

Lap 2 was good as well. But this time when I flew down the steep descent, I got tons of momentum carrying me up the other side. I blew past a few guys like they were standing still. I was pushing 28 mph UP the hill and it was amazing. I'm loving my new bike's power transfer abilities.
I only grabbed a drink of HEED 2-3 times during this section because the course was so rough and full of potential vehicle traffic. There just weren't many good, safe, straight-aways to work with. As a result, I was left feeling pretty thirsty for the run.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Had a pretty smooth transition and got out of there without incident.

nothing.
Run
  • 20m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a pretty good run and I steadily passed people the entire time, but I think the piercing side-ache I got at the beginning of the second loop hurt me a little. I did my best to pick up the pase in an effort to negative split the loops, but I have no idea if I did it because I didn't even hit my lap button on my watch.
i took one gulp of very cold water from the water station, and that might have been the cause of the cramps. when that icy cold water hits my gut, I don't react well. I prefer my water a little bit warmer. But that's probably just me.
I was still able to push hard to the finish and keep a great pace up the hill.

Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a quick bite to eat and an orange. Then I caught up with a few people including my wife and daugher, friends and racers.
My warm-down included walking back and forth between my car and the TA a few times to collect all my stuff.

Event comments:

Perfect situation for beginners to get a taste of triathlon. I like the direction this race is headed!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:30 | 400 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:50 | 12.4 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Bumpy ride the entire way. Lots of imperfections in the road. Tons of a little obstacles to look out for. Some good hills, and 1 very steep descent.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:22 | 03 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps inside Kirkwood Park. A couple pretty good hills that we had to tackle a couple times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Tour de Kirkwood

2007-07-23 11:34 AM
in reply to: #897024

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Tour de Kirkwood

Gotta have one of the girl!

(Bennett.JPG)

(Brandon.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Bennett.JPG (52KB - 24 downloads)
Brandon.JPG (42KB - 26 downloads)
2007-07-23 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
You are incredible!!  I love reading your race reports.  And the pictures are great.  The perfect swim form picture says it all.  You really are an "up-and-coming" in this sport!  STL and the rest of the world...WATCH OUT!  Can I get a WHOOP-WHOOP?! 
2007-07-23 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Hey, great race! Your times are very impressive!
2007-07-24 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Results finally came out!

3rd overall and 1st in AG by several minutes.

http://www.midriversrace.com/2007TDK_AGE.HTM

http://www.midriversrace.com/2007TDK_OVERALL.HTM

woohoo

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Kirkwood Rss Feed