General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 23s
Overall Rank = 99/249
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/35
Pre-race routine:

Ate a light breakfast of half a bagel, a banana, and half a Powerbar. Made sure everything was packed the night before and got to the race nice and early. Amount of food seemed pretty good, and I made sure to carb-load the two days before and pound water like it was my job.
Event warmup:

Did a couple of light jogs up and down the hill near the transition area and was able to get in a couple hundred meters in the lake before the race started. Probably could've used a few more minutes in the water to warm up. Next time!
Swim
  • 17m 44s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was nice, although we were blinded by the sun heading into the first buoy until you were roughly 100 meters from it. Water temp was nice and it felt clean. The time trial start was a blessing, that's for sure, only got punched and kicked a few times.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up in the water a little longer and continue working on my stroke. I could've swam faster, but being my first race I didn't want to blow it all on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I need to toughen my feet up so I can go without socks, that'll save a good :30 seconds in transition. Forgot to stuff my gel flask in my jersey.

Go sockless and not wear a headband or gloves.
Bike
  • 42m 23s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 21.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved this bike course. Not only do you get to ride on the highway, but it's fast and spectators get to see you pass the park entrance 3 times. Good times.

I could work a little harder on the bike to push the speed slightly. Need aerobars as well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I couldn't find my spot right away as I was the first one back in my rack and someone had kicked my towel so things looked differently than i had left them. Had a hard time racking my bike and took too much time to drink. Then I ran the wrong way out of my aisle, so I wasted a good amount of time in this transition.

Put a balloon or something at my transition area. FOCUS harder when I'm that tired.
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

It's nice to be able to run most of the ren portion on the crushed limestone path around Antrim Lake, really helps the legs. Plenty of water available to the runners and the finish line is a nice set-up. This was a fast 5k for me, considering the shin splints.

Pick up the pace on the final lap a little sooner. And work on my running stamina so I can kick it harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching and eating near the finish line, nothing too crazy. Probably could've stretched more, but didn't feel too bad later that evening. Hammys were a little tight, however.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably could've used a nutrition boost toward the end of the bike leg. Need to drink more on both the bike and the run.

Event comments:

I'd recommend this race to anyone, both new and seasoned to the sport of triathlon. It really was well run and a blast to participate in.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:44 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/249
Performance: Average
They added the time it took to get from the water's edge to the transition area to the swim time, so that added probably anywhere from a minute to a minute and a half to everyone's time, unless you sprinted it. My watch said I did a 16:34 swim, which seems more in-line with my training. Heart rate was up around 160 or so.
Suit: No Wetsuit for me.
Course: A typical triangle course with smooth, clear water. We did a time trial start with a roughly 3 second gap, which was nice. Little run into the water and it dropped off fast.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:23 | 15.53 miles | 21.98 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Heart rate was up in the mid to upper 160's with an occasional dip into the upper 170's.
Wind: Little
Course: Course was FAST! Coming down the ramp onto 315 South you'll hit speeds into the mid 30's, which was a blast! Smooth highway pavement, but Olentangy had some rough spots and i noticed a few people flatting out. A few rolling hills on Olentangy as well, but nothing horrible. 3 laps of the same for the sprint.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:11 | 03.11 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Heart rate was definitely in the upper 160's and low 170's for most of the run. The kick at the end pushed it up to the 190's. Yowsa.
Course: Nice run around Antrim Lake and and up and back section to 161 with the finish line being near the deck. It's so cool to be able to see the finish line for the entire final lap around the lake, talk about inspiration!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 3:50 PM

User image

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-24 11:47 AM
in reply to: #897738

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job... Nice bike split. So when's the next race?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed