Springfield, Illinois
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not very organized. We got lost, detoured, and showed up late to the event. I also thought I left my Aero bottle at home, so I just used one water bottle on the bike, instead of the Aero (water) and my other bottle being gatorade. We enter transition and almost were getting booted out right away. I saw that my sunglasses cracked during transport. bummer.
Event warmup:

My warmup consisted of talking to a lady with the same swim cap as me... green, and finding out that this was the 40 and over women. wait, that's not me. So I jogged over to a race official and they said, no you should be going out with the blue cap wave. I look up, HEY they are in the water about to start. So I ran down the boat ramp (slippery) and got into the water, and started swimming. Yep, that was about it for my warmup.
Swim
  • 35m 46s
  • 1584 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

work more on my sighting skills.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

I don't know what took me so long. I didn't have a wetsuit to take off. But I sat down and felt kinda tired so I moved slowly. Wiped off my feet from all the dirt. Still bummed about not being able to use my sunglasses. I actually put them on, the lens fell off... and I just figured, well that's not going to work so I put them in my tri-bag for later repair.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 52s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I never rode without sunglasses, but the sun never came out and I guess it wasn't too bad. I fell out of focus a lot. But after the half way turnaround I pretty much was GAME ON.

Not be so whiny.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Now I was getting more whiny cause the bike marshalls weren't telling me which way to turn as I was approaching transition. Nevermind!
Run
  • 55m 24s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I like passing people. It was tough out there in the heat and humidity. I felt good. I drank gatorade at all 5 water stops, walking at each one. It really helped. I beat both the 2nd and 3rd place in the run. They both did better than me in the swim and equal on the bike. I won it in the run!

Run faster and faster.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, stretched. Post Torch drink made my recovery easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, focus, and being whiny.

Event comments:

Lots of volunteers, but they didn't know too much about what was going on around them. Like which way to go. Registration volunteer gave me the 40+ wave cap and I look about 24. But hey, I won money and a trophy, and my first 1st place. So I am happy.

Last updated: 2007-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:46 | 1584 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Mostly a zig zag for me. They call it a triangle. Too bad we couldn't go clock wise, counter clock wise is definately not good for me since I pull strongly to my right. Didn't have much of any pile ups except at the turn bouys. Probably because I was off to the right. ;)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:52 | 24.8 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: It was rolling, mostly flat. Cornering was a bit tricky. I slowed down a lot because there a bunch of gravel.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:24 | 06.2 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: I liked this course, and of course I am happy now! I am RUNNING! I feel the way Will Bauer feels about his bike. That roadie! Great shaded course.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-31 3:03 PM

User image

Subject: Iron Abe Triathlon

2007-07-31 8:30 PM
in reply to: #908618

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Iron Abe Triathlon
Rock on, Sandi!
2007-07-31 8:35 PM

Master
STL

congrats on your win!

did you hubby do the sprint? i think he's left me a couple messages, he said his wife won athena. i also did a race report on this and you can read it--had the same opinion as you! my name wasn't on the list, so i got a sprint number and spend 45minutes race morning making sure i was going to be timed correctly and not mislead during the race.

2007-08-01 7:29 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
great job - PRO!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Abe Triathlon Rss Feed