[email protected]
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 51s
Overall Rank = 59/1279
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/122
Pre-race routine:

Left work 15 minutes early to get to Newburyport before the last minute. Found a decent parking spot near the High School. Jogged over to the registration in my street clothes, and got my number and T Shirt. Jogged back to the car and got changed in the back seat.
Event warmup:

Just jogged around a bit - did some quick runs up and down some side streets. A little stretching etc...
Run
  • 1h 01m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back around to meet up with Mom who was in her "usual" spot around mile 9.3 or so... Walked her back towards her car, and then jogged back up to the finish to get some water, snacks, and hot dogs...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pack a day for 5 years?

Event comments:

Good race. pleased to be back on pace for what my marathon goals are. Would have liked to have set a new 10 mile PR (missed by 10 seconds!) but improved on last years time by 6 minutes or so (97 degrees last year) Overall rankings fell out almost exactly like last year - Everyone was 6 minutes faster this year!!
Seriously - last years vs this year..
60 1060 DAVID MILLER 37 M 8/109 M3539 MANCHESTER NH 1:07:49 6:47
vs
59 1083 DAVID MILLER 38 M 8/122 M3539 MANCHESTER NH 1:01:51 6:12
Eerily similar ranking....
Biggest difference was how quickly I recovered, and how good I felt through the first 7 miles. Some longer runs this year vs last to date is probably the difference...(plus the temperature)
I WILL break 1 hour on this course next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:01:51 | 10 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/122
Overall: 59/1279
Performance: Good
My Garmin had me at 10.1 miles, and 1:01:53 so the splits don't add up perfectly to the race results, but I'll use the Garmin numbers as I have them in hand. Mile # 1 = 6:07 - Felt like a solid start. Not too quick, Just right. Seeded myself right near the front. 2 - 6:04 - Picked off a few folks, and was passed in a blur by someone! Missed his # but he was haulin', and looked like he could keep at it. 3 - 6:15 - Started to thin out as the folks who really were going to hang out at 6/ pace pulled ahead a bit, and I hung in the back. There was no one behind me as everyone was crossing the street behind me as I passed. Went through downtown here, and as always, felt like a star as everyone was cheering. Pretty fun! 4 - 6:17 - Still felt pretty good. Found myself thinking about other things, and slowing a bit here and there. I need to concentrate to keep at my goal pace! 5 - 6:20 - Hanging right behind a couple guys who looked like they knew what they were doing. I knew some hills were coming up, so I stayed right behind them hoping they would pull me up the hills. However, they kind of faded, and I ended losing a little more time here than I wanted. 6 - 6:07 - Passed three woman, and caught another. I was thinking she might be the womens' race leader (nope- not even close!) 7 - 6:12 - Passed her, and got passed by a younger guy who motored up a hill ahead of me. Stil not sure if I re-caught him or not. Last couple miles were a blur. Started to fell pretty tired at this point. Had been moving along at a good clip, but not killing myself. Saw I was behind my goal pace still (thanks you FR301!) and knew I need to finish strong. 8 - 5:50 - Started picking off a few guys I could tell were fading, and I was still feeling decent. 9 - 6:00 - This mile goes forver -long, straight road with a little hill over the highway- but just straight and boring - no spectators or anything.... ouch.... 10- 6:06 - Suprised this was over 6/ pace as I felt like I was hauling at 100%. Passed another bunch of folks including 1 in the last 50 yards, and one in the last 35 feet. He was generous, and gasped out a "nice job" as I passed him. I was crankin' at max effort - leaving nothing out there...It couldn't have looked too pretty.... :-) .01- :31 1:01:53=6:07/mile
Course: http://www.yankeerace.com/map.shtml
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-01 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: Yankee Homecoming 10M

2007-08-01 8:42 AM
in reply to: #909334

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Yankee Homecoming 10M

Wow... Looks like people improve as a pack.  We can safely conclude that it's a factor of weather/temperature. 

Nice fast run, as usual.  How much faster would you want?  Must be fun passing people.  Maybe one day I would get to pass someone (who is not walking) on the run. 

Hotdogs are great post-race food. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yankee Homecoming 10M Rss Feed