United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 26s
Overall Rank = 11/52
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Short drive from work down to the beach (Duh, it's local), but still listened to my favorite pre-race disc (Stereophonics) at full volume to pump the adrenaline. Put the bike together, OCD about what to place in the transition area and figure that out. Get inked with my numbers and I'm good.
Event warmup:

Spin lap around the bike course to gauge the wind direction and speed followed by an opener run of a few yards. Still have time to get wet and check the swim course before pre-race announcements.
Swim
  • 05m 44s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Start goes (that minute warning is always too early) and I have room to move. Very little interference from other competitors and when I do, I can simply drop the hammer and get by them. This is really easy for me. Rest the legs with simple flutters to keep them buoyant.
What would you do differently?:

Make the course three times longer!
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I have struggled with T1 in my previous 4 tris. This was easiest by far. I tried to simplify. Albuterol before the swim, no clif shot here, water bottle to clean the feet instead of bucket. Step on the towel to dry. Socks on, fumbled ever so slightly with the shoe velcro. Glasses, helmet and I'm good. For me; excellent T1

Single strap rather than double strap shoes?
Bike
  • 37m 9s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my true strength. I went full on gas here. I know I could have "saved" some for the run, but in fact, those minutes wouldn't come back on the run. A true hammerfest and I could race/pace with a woman I warmed up with making us both push hard. She and I kept alternating; I "Boonen'ed" her and out-sprinted her at the finish. 2 car issues who don't know how to pass a cyclist and I have to pass the cars. I was truly happy with the ride and think I was second bike in the racks; tough to be sure when you're anoxic.

Nothing. I rock!
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Never sure to stand or sit here; I tried to stand but realized I was struggling. Sat down and it went easier. I got "easy laces" with the circle puller thingy on them. I like the speed laces with the spring clip better, but the screws for the eyelets rub my feet.

Maybe speed laces and moleskin over the screw heads to keep it from rubbing.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, not terrible in retrospect. I didn't feel good. I was hurting the whole time (Did I mention smoking the bike?). But I know; this is my worst segment and I need to "cowboy up" and "git er done" here. Two pass in the first 500 yards, then another at the water stop 1. Then another on the cul-de-sac. I see my closest clyde competitor enter the cul-de-sac as I'm exiting and wonder if I have enough gap knowing he's a better runner than me. Step it up even though we're dangerously low on gas. I enter the neighborhood portion and know I have to keep the gas on even though there's no one around. A couple more go by; teams who won't hurt my overall and women who will. The down hill favors me; A spectator friend tells me John just rounded the corner and I know if I keep it on, I've got him. Finish an I realize I've done well.

Keep training. Want to get my 5K only times into a tri, but I know that's real work (I'm willing to put that in). 8:30 miles are very different than 7:30.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapse and wait for the blood flow to return to my brain with my head between my knees. Ooh, pretty colors!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run, but I'm working.

Event comments:

Wish it were open to the public or at least our contractors and temps to enhance the field.

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:44 | 500 yards | 01m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 10/52
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo
Course: A simple inverted "U" shape keeping buoys on your left. Way too short for my liking.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:09 | 12.5 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 4/52
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 6 laps of ~2 miles each. 2 90degree left turns (marshalled) and one sweeping left. Very small rollers and 1 "hill" of ~100 yards gaining ~50 feet. Flat and fast, but you have to count laps with tape strips and use the bike computer. Out and back would be preferable, but it's spectator friendly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:27 | 03 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 26/52
Performance: Average
Course: 1 good short hill, some short rollers of a few hunderd yards. Downhill last mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-03 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Pfizer Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-03 8:18 AM
in reply to: #912057

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: RE: Pfizer Sprint Triathlon
Great job last night!  Looking at your splits I'm guessing I was the guy riding near you, watching you and the woman exhange postions, and passing you as we entered the cul de sac.  Way to cowboy up and git er done!  
2007-08-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: #912106

User image

Champion
You too A! As I say, I wish this would open to at least contractors and temps to bring the numbers up. But still, 52 is pretty good IMHO.

Gotta come down for "the rock" on 9/4 for a social OWS with us.
2007-08-03 10:19 AM
in reply to: #912272

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
pitt83 - 2007-08-03 11:01 AM You too A! As I say, I wish this would open to at least contractors and temps to bring the numbers up. But still, 52 is pretty good IMHO. Gotta come down for "the rock" on 9/4 for a social OWS with us.
  Completely agree.  I found myself asking a number of folks if they were racing only to hear "I would but I'm a contractor and not allowed".  Seems to me it wasn't that long ago that family members were allowed to race as well.   I'm definitely up for "the rock".  Let me know time and meeting place. 
2007-08-03 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice job...awesome splits all around...fun you raced with Aaron!

Congrats on the Hardware~ 

2007-08-03 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Nice job. It wasn't JUST about the bike - You rocked that swim too!!

2007-08-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #913098

User image

Champion
Thanks for the encouragement. I did have a nice swim; it was effortless, you know? Kind of like "I'm screaming here and not putting out anything" feeling. Too bad it wasn't longer so I could get more placing advantage from it.

I had a much improved T1 yesterday. (1:19 instead of 3:00) No more 3 minute rest stops. Get in-get out-get on.

That and I can't wait to get the tri bike bult up. The road bike cost me about ~3 minutes from an already excellent ride. The UPS man will ruin my marriage next week I'll post pics once it's built up.

Full results at:
http://www.plattsys.com/results/res2007/pfizer07.htm

Edited by pitt83 2007-08-03 7:37 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfizer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed