General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton, Louisiana
United States
Sportspectrum
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 62/89
Pre-race routine:

We left the hotel ½ hour late so we were late arriving and hit massive traffic transition area was set to close at 7:40 I made it into transition at 7:30 Forgot gels and had not time to go get them nor did I ask for any, got marked and had 2 bathroom breaks before the race started, actually the second was as the race started so by the time I hit the water the second wave was heading out lucky for me I was wave 5.

I did at least have part of my race day meal peanut butter and honey sandwich I just forgot everything else
Event warmup:

Potty stops bidy marking and just in time water entry
Swim
  • 19m 38s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I let most of the wave go before I started refer to earlier notes about seriousness I stayed out of traffic very well very few bumps and nothing hard Sighting was good and breathing was well in control. After rounding the second buoy I noticed a group of about 6 other silver caps in front of me and decided that since this was a race I should catch them and over the next 300 yards I passed then all the last one I passed just before standing to run in it was my buddy Steve and he promptly passed me in T-1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I just need to work on speed
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

I was out of breath from the last 300 yards of the swim and had mental mistakes in t-1 first it was a long run in I would guess 100 to 150 yards up hill I then had sand all over my feet so I rinsed then with my foot bottle dried them and stuck sox and bike shoes on then said CRAP my wife was just outside the boundary and asked what is wrong I said well I blew this transition and am glad I am not stressing it, and then sat down took off the sox tuned them back right side out and put shoes back on took the bike and left long jog to the mount line perhaps 75 yards.

Pay attention to what I am doing.
Bike
  • 57m 29s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good I settled into the aero bars after the second quick turn and decided not to look at speed or average just cadence and time. I kept the cadence to 80 to 90 most of the time passed a lot of people and was passed by a lot I was disturbed to be passed by Dave K at about mile 3 he blew by me and said “can’t that bike go any faster” doh I knew I had no chance to stay with him and replied “nope I have to do some engine work” I hoped he would blow up he did not and soon I lost sight of him (I do not know if he feels this way but I view him as a rival and want to beat him) I developed some right hamstring pain on the ride most likely do to only having 23 miles on the bike at this point but I worked thru it. John (The Bear) caught me about mile 14 and said nice looking bike and opened from me I did not try to hang with him just stuck to my cadence and effort monitoring. Rest of the ride was uneventful with the exception of one guy passing very fast then cutting in on me with less than a wheel distance between us that pissed me off then I took a corner a bit to fast tried to avoid some gravel and nearly ran off the road (hit the white stripe on the other side of the curve). This bike is great and it took me to my fastest tri time yet actually my fastest solo type ride yet 19 mph.

Just get more miles on the bike and build a better motor
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Long run with the bike and I was beginning to feel the heat transition was ok just long.

learn to dismount faster
Run
  • 30m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my downfall of the day I started out and immediately noticed that my legs felt strong! I can run! I was happy! then I noticed my breathing was not strong and I was very hot, long story short I walked a lot about ½ of the up hills were walked. I saw Dave K at the turn around and wanted to catch him I just did not have the gas and soon lost sight of him but I kept telling my self he started ahead of me just keep going and I may have a chance. I dueled with a pair of guys in my age group they were much slower than me when I ran but passed me when I walked at the end I passed then on the final .25 and was not challenged by them but a 50 year old did try to make a run of it at the end, it was a downhill 60 yards into a sand pit just before the finish he faded and I did not fall on my face.

I need to do bricks and endurance the legs were good the rest was weak.
Post race
Warm down:

Ended the run go water and cheered in others with my wife. Talked to Dave who said he thought I beat him I said i did not know as he flew by on the bike he said yep but I was loking better on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of bricks lack of time on this bike and lack of swimming speed work.

Event comments:

My lack of seriousness and my 23 miles on the new bike powered me to the best Tri finish I have ever had 62/89 in the age group and a 19 mile per hour bike leg.
My lack of training the last 3 weeks (my last brick was the Jefferson Tri) combined with no fuel on the bike leg or transition hurt me on the run this is not something I can continue to do. I beat Dave and I think he will seek revenge at a later date. Next stop Texas man Olympic.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:38 | 880 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/89
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Tringle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:29 | 18.2 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/89
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: circle of the lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:27 | 03.11 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/89
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back mostly, in the park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 4:25 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2007-08-05 6:13 PM
in reply to: #913945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon
Nice race, Clifford. Saw the BT tri suit and recognized you. That was a nice run and glad that your bike worked out so well. I can't believe that you put on socks et al and still had a sub 3 min transition time. Good job. Good to see you and Patti again. Maybe I'll catch up with you again at another race soon!
2007-08-05 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

Great job today, Clifford!  Especially on the bike.  it's already paying off for you!  Amazing how your legs felt, huh?

2007-08-05 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

Oops.  Double post.

Edited by jcagg90 2007-08-05 8:44 PM
2007-08-05 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Good job beating Dave!  I know that must be a great feeling.  And your bike times are definitely improving.  Good race, and good to catch up with you and your wife at the dinner.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed