General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntington's Disease Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Huntington's Disease Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Huntington's Disease Society of America
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 47s
Overall Rank = 5/42
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Had a great dinner at Chart House and had a good night's sleep at the hotel. Woke up at 4:45 eat almond butter and some pita and drank a bottle of water. Got dressed and headed out of the hotel to the race. Saw people coming into the hotel from a night out on the town and though it was pretty funny.
Event warmup:

No real warm up ran a little to see how my foot was feeling - it was soso. Took a little swim too but you know how I feel about swimming in the water with out a lot of people with me so that sisn't last very long.
Swim
  • 27m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first time swimming this far in a race and it felt pretty good. I really focused on my stroke and stayed with my form. A few times I spotted and was going the wrong way - once into oncoming swimming traffic but overall I was pretty please with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Run the first 5 feet in the start and dive in and spot more so I don't go off track
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

This went pretty smoothly I thought until I looked at my T1 time compared to the other girls - I quess I need to learn to jump on my bike with my shoes already clipped in.

Learn to jump on bike with shoes clipped in
Bike
  • 1h 20m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

OK I don't think I will ever forget this bike race. Everything was going great on the first loop I felt awesome on the monster bridge and even passed a guy on the bridge - so what is he was 64 - it still felt great. I felt great my speed was up and I was crusing toward the turn around for lap two. The volunteers where yelling Oltmpic distance to the left and sprint distancers to the right so I begin to head to left. Next thing I know the motorcycle USAT guy decides to make a left turn right in front of me into my path. I think I screamed but can't remember I know i grabbed the bracks and he sis too beacuse I heard hois tires screech and then I wish by him -- almost. He nips my back tire and sends me out of control into the grassy median which is sprinked with palm trees. I see my life flash before me as I doge about three palm trees and finally gain enough control to slide my bike over to stop on the ground. Next thing I know I'm standing up trying to get my bike up and the motorcycle guy in running over with a volunter asking if I am ok. I say I think so. I can't really explain it but at this piont all I could think about was getting abckon my bike and racing - I think adrenaline I don't know. So we got my chian back on and I took off. I realized I need that guys info in case my bike is screwed up and I yelled to a volunter to get his info for me -- ( side note the guy tooke off after the race when I filed teh accident with the officals - what a jackie!). Anyway - back on the bike and soo mad I am talking out loud on the bike saying I can't believe that happen. Ended up doing fine on the second loop and made it safely back to T2. Oh yeah I am ok - lucky I fell on the grass so just so scrapes.

Stay away from the motorcycle officals they are retared
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Run
  • 47m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt pretty good. Started off at a 7:30min/mile but that dropped off in the middle to an 8:00 min/mile and then I picked it back up in the end. It was hot out and my shoulders were cramping so every water station I actually stopped and walked and drank water - I normally don't stop for water or run with the water and get a sip - This helped alot. I also had a GU - vanilla bean - it was my first time with that flavor and it was yummy - like pudding. Over all please on my run and didn't notice my foot pain until I stopped running - going to podiatrist this week.

Maybe carry water bottle with me on the run.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:18 | 1500 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/42
Performance: Good
Suit: LG top and shorts
Course: Was stright out and back thru very shallow ocean/bay water. The water was really dirty and smelly. It was pretty gross.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:20:28 | 24.85 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Overall: 10/42
Performance: Average
Avg Heart Rate 164 Max Heart Rate 174 - up the bridges
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course down key biscayne. It had was a two mile loop with two bridges one little one and then a monster. So we went over each bridge four times - ugh.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:38 | 06.21 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 3/42
Performance: Good
Course: Flat two loop run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 6:49 PM

Subject: Huntington's Disease Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntington's Disease Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed