Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 73/285
Age Group = M 25/29
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ealy, had a bowl of oatmeal, loaded up the car and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Quick run and swim, about 5 mins running with some quick speed stuff and lazy swim just to loosen the shoulders.
Swim
  • 26m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was planning on going relatively hard on the swim, however I had my goggles knocked off in the first 20 meters of the swim so I had to readjust them and then I got stuck behind some slower swimmers. Decided to just draft off of these guys and conserve my energy, plan worked fairly well until we rounded the 2nd buoy to head back to the beach. All of a sudden the sun was right in our eyes and we were all over the course. I probably added an extra 100 meters to my swim by verring too far out wide. Oh well, I should have been sighting more often instead of relying on the others to do so.
What would you do differently?:

Sight myself, also not get my goggles knocked off, I am confident that if I had stayed with the front tier I could have ,gone under 23 mins.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Still am not comfortable with starting with the bike shoes on the bike, probably would be useful for saving time in these shorter races though.

Learn the bike shoes trick!!!
Bike
  • 1h 14m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.09 km/hr
Comments:

My goal here was to push the bike hard, and then see what happens on the run. So I started by taking the first 2-3km's relatively easy to warm up my legs and then I started to push. The recent amount of faster stuff I have been doing on the bike seems to be paying off as I was for once passing people on the bike and moving through the field a bit. I also got passed, but I was keeping track in my head of how many people I passed vs how many passed me, and I passed 2 more than I got passed by, so all in all pretty good. Hit the turnaround and was still feeling pretty sweet, had a gel anyway just in case I forgot later, and kept downning water. Came into T2 pumped as this was one of my best race rides ever.

Not much, I think I could have pushed harder and I may not have met my goal of going as hard as I could on the bike, but all in all I was pretty pleased with how it went.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Pretty good transition, I have mastered getting out iof my shoes on my bike, but man do I need elastic laces for my shoes!!! Would save so much time, at least 15 secs.

BUY ELASTIC LACES!!! This has been a continuing theme this year for me. Time to go do it.
Run
  • 46m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I started off really well, felt like I had a ton of energy and my turnover was very good(usually if I am in trouble my turnover is slow). Passed a handful of people right away and felt strong, hit the first aid station, grabbed a water to pour on my head and a gatorade to drink, man, I am so used to drinking dilute gatorade that whoever had made this batch is was like drinking syrop!!! At least it gave me energy!!! Kept going, kipped the gatorade at the next aid staion as I did not want it as sweet as it had been mixed, through 5km and felt pretty good and was right on track for where I wanted to be. Hit the 6km mark and it was like I hit a wall, my foot speed slowed, energy just seemed to drain out of me. Felt terrible, luckily, another aid staion was just ahead, asked for gatorade, grabbed the cup handed to me and it was... water!!! Oh well, volunteers were great, everyone makes mistakes, back to trying to keep my pace going, but I was slowing down big time, no doubt about it, I started to get passed by some of the people behind me, not too worried, my goal time was 2:30 and it was still in sight, struggled through the last couple km's, saw the finish line ahead, looked at my watch... Oh crap, I might not make it in my time, busted it to the finish line, and... missed my time by 1 second!!! I knew I should have bought those elastic laces!!!!

I am not sure, maybe carry something with me, an extra gel for energy, I am not sure. I wasn't thrilled with my run time, but it was part of my plan that I was ready to live with for pushing the bike hard, and I didn't blow up which was my worst case scenarion so that was OK. Time to do more brick training I think!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Went and stood in the lake with my Mom who had come to watch, then grabbed some food, saw the results, went home for lunch and my afternoon nap!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor decision making while swimming, and lack of brick training for the run.

Event comments:

Pretty good race, apparently this is the longest running triathlon in Canada which is pretty cool. Good stuff, will probably do this race next year as well.

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 61/285
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangle, 1 loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:48 | 40 kms | 32.09 km/hr
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 81/285
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:07 | 10 kms | 04m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 71/285
Performance: Below average
Course: 1 Lap of Elk and Beaver lake, mostly flat and shady with a couple of small hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Self-Transcendence Triathlon

2007-08-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: #914152

User image

Subject: RE: Self-Transcendence Triathlon

Wow - what a stellar race, Mike!!  Nicely done!

I know what you mean about elastic laces.  I probably could have broken 3 hours if I had them too, but I can't wear them 'cuz of my ankles. 

2007-08-06 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Good job on a great race! IMO, you hit your goal time, 2H 31m would be over, but 1 second - naw that's still okay! Great job on the bike!
2007-08-06 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran

Awesome job, Mike!!  It was a fantastic day   I will definitely be doing this race again next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Self-Transcendence Triathlon Rss Feed