Race Day Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 16s
Overall Rank = 6/50?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am. I ate my 2 mini bagels with honey and 1 bottle of water. Drove the 80 miles to the race site losing 1 hour because of the time change. Arrived at 7am and registered. Racked my bike and set up my transition area. Took a gel at 7:30am. Race started at 8am.
Event warmup:

I took a 1 mile bike ride to check out the bike and a .5 mile jog to check out the legs.
Swim
  • 08m
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

They had the swim last because of no chip timing for the race. I was expecting to get cooled off in the pool but it was extremely warm. My arms felt like they weighed a ton. I couldn't get a good turnover with my arms but my breathing was right on.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first race with the swim last and it felt like I was swimming so slow. Maybe some bike to swim bricks?
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Passed a guy in T1 and was pretty fast overall. Had trouble with the buckle on my helmet.

nothing
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course had the toughest climb I have ever done in a triathlon. It was halfway through the bike course you turn a corner and climb into the sky. The first lap I was in the big chain ring and almost couldn't pedal. Up in front of me was a guy carrying his mountain bike and running up the hill. I caught him rather quickly after that. The second time around I was in the small chain ring and sprinted up the hill. It had a nice, fast downhill after it for some 30-35 mph speeds.

Could have went just a touch harder on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Almost crashed coming into T2. Left shoe wouldn't come off the pedal. Had about a 200ft. run to the pool.

nothing
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

I like running first because I cramp so bad in the calves when I get off the bike and start the run. This way I could run at a faster pace and still be fresh for the bike.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to the truck for a bottle of heed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was very hot and humid by the time we started. I had raced last weekend and probably wasn't fully recovered.

Event comments:

I wasn't going to run this race, but when I signed up I was the only person in my age group and I figured I would do it for my Saturday training. When I arrived I noticed very few bike racks and no timing mats. I registered and was given a towel as my goody bag. As we were all standing around waiting to start it was announced it would be a run/bike/swim for timing purposes with only a finishing time given. We all had to time ourselves for our splits. So we all lined up to run and off we went. I was 9th into T1 with a good run and passed a guy in T1. I caught the mountain biker on the steep hill and then passed 1 of the faster racers as he had flatted. He ended up pushing his bike about 3 miles in bare feet, fixing his tire, and finishing the race. I stayed 6th the rest of the race. After we were done they had a kids race. They had a 1 mile run, 1 mile bike, and a 1 lap swim. These kids were awesome!!! They were coming in from the run with the biggest grins on there face. One very young boy raced with his training wheels on his bike. One girl almost couldn't get on her bike because she was so little. Later I found out this was a fund raiser for the Cleveland, TN swim team. The good points were they had a policeman at every turn of the bike. Now the bad points....They had no water when we finished. The pizza got there late and they only had 10 large pizzas for about 150 people. The only thing they had to drink was warm powerade leftover from the aid stations. They only gave out an overall mens winner trophy and 3 mens age group awards, overall womens winner trophy and 3 womens age group awards and 1 relay award. The man who put this race together was the overall winner. I thought that to be a little tacky to win your own race but he was smoking fast. I had a really good time and met a lot of nice people and was pleased with my race so...overall it was a sucessful training day.

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:00 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 6/50?
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was a down and back in each lane and then switch lanes for another down and back for 4 total laps in the 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:52 | 12.5 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Overall: 6/50?
Wind:
Course: 2 lap course on City streets
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:24 | 03.2 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 9/50?
Course: Real steep downhill onto a gravel trail with 2 laps through the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes