United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nice early wake up. A few bites of pasta and granola bars and head to the race.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

For whatever reason, the RD didn't get my swim time estimate so I got seeded dead last. I was dodging people who were breast stroking, doggy paddling, and flat out walking. After about 200M I caught someone who was just a few seconds per 50 slower than I wanted so I gave up and just sat in his wake the last 200 taking it easy.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I get a reply from the RD. The saving grace for me was that they shortened the interval between starts, it used to be 1 person per minute, but now it's every 20 seconds. I would've been sitting around for an hour as it heated up if not for that.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 is always quick with the tri suit. Socks rolled on pretty quick. I wasn't sure enough with the new shoes to have them already clipped it, I'll be ready for next time.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I realized the night before that I hadn't really been on my bike in several months so that cost me. This isn't what I'd call a technical course, but it's certainly not like a lot of the out and backs I've done. There were 4 sharp turns per loop and a few other winding spots that demand attention so it was tough to really get in a groove.

All-in-all it was a tale of two sides. One side of the loop was basically non-stop rolling hills. Once you made two quick rights, it was a fairly long straight gradual downhill back the way you came. So I got used to getting ate up on the hills and then passing the people back on the straightaway.
What would you do differently?:

Probably ride my bike a bit more often. Checking my logs it doesn't look like I've done anything but the spin bike this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Just got the new Sidi T-1's so this was far and away my best T2 ever. Got the feet on top of the shoes about 1/2 mile out and went bombing into the transition area. Dumped the helmet, pulled on the running shoes and I was outta there. Less than a minute easy.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

Man I am not built for hills. The sun was starting to come out so it was getting pretty warm. Basically I just focused on holding it all together. Starting at the back in the swim probably helped my ego here because most of the people I would consider MOP types were so far ahead because of the time trial start that I was pretty much passing everyone in sight.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbled around and then went to run in with my pal Sara who actually crashed on the bike but gutted it out and finished... I was mucho impressed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really doing any swim or bike training.

Event comments:

Not all that organized. While $40 is kinda cheap for a sprint I would expect something more than water and a few hot dogs with tortillas at the finish for me.

Last updated: 2007-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 437 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Sepentine swim in a pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:00 | 12.4 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 2.1 mile loop, hilly on one side, fairly easy flat downhill on the other side.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m  min/mile
Course: Brutal hilly course. First 1/3 - 1/2 mile is a nasty uphill. I'd say about 1.3 or so miles of the course was climbing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes