United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 10s
Overall Rank = 82/352
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Showed up to the race an hour and a half early and realized I forgot my race belt. Set up transition and wandered over to the vendor tents to pick up a new one. Then I hung around and waited for the prerace meeting. Ten minutes before swim start, I ate a gel and took in some water.
Swim
  • 07m 52s
  • 320 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very rough start. Started 2/3 back in the pack. Spent the first 75 yards being run over by the people behind me. Then spent the next 50 yards running into half the people that ran over me when they died. Finally got enough open water to actually start swimming.

Either the course was shorter then the 320 m advertised, or I am significantly faster then I thought. I was stopping and going so much the entire first half, that even on a good day, I wouldn't have averaged under 2:30 per hundred for the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster and stay away from the pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Didn't rush through transition, but it went smooth. Didn't try to keep the shoes on the bike and just took the extra second to put them on and run in them. The run from the water to my rack took the longest.

Get tri shoes and practice the moving bike mount.
Bike
  • 28m 26s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Was passed a few times in the beginning, but once my HR settled from the swim and I settled into a good pace, I started passing people back. This was my fastest bike split so far in a race and for this particular route.

Guessed the end of the course wrong and pulled out of my shoes too early. Better shoes, more practice, and better prepwork (pre riding) would have possibly saved me the 10 seconds I needed to break 1 hour.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Pulled out of shoes a little too early. Set up for the dismount well, but was still riding the front brake when I jumped off. Of course suddenly unloading the bike with the front brake on sent it into a mini endo. I had to half drag the front end of the bike back along side.

Racking went smoothly as well as throwing on the shoes. The run start was at the opposite end of the transition area, so much of the transition time was spent running to the chip mat.

practice dismounts more. Pick a better spot on the racks.
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Strong run, especially off of almost no training. Started out feeling a little too fast. The legs were feeling fine, but the HR felt too high. I knew if I gutted it out for a minute, it would calm down. This run was the strongest bike to run transition I've had. Hills seemed to be my strong point, as I wound up passing the most people on the uphill sections. Was holding right at LT to the finish, but finished still feeling strong. I probably could have paced it out for a longer distance and not lost much speed.

nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Very well organized for a small sprint. Even though the course was technically open, it was highly restricted by local PD. Corners were well swept, the swim exit was well groomed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:52 | 320 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 0/352
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point to Point across the lake. Swim start was full of rocks and branches, but swim exit was well groomed.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:26 | 9.5 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Fairly flat with an occasional small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:18 | 03.2 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Performance: Good
Course: Run back through the neighborhood. Two nice gradual hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes