General Discussion Race Reports! » Keweenaw Memorial Copperman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keweenaw Memorial Copperman Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Copper Harbor, Michigan
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 19s
Overall Rank = 60/70
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Pre-race routine:

I picked up my rental bike 3 weeks beforehand and had spent the days leading up to the race working on hills and climbing - Houston doesn't have many hills so I needed lots of work. Felt good going into race on ability to do course.

The night before Booty and I prepared bikes and attached Gu's... but on second thought, knowing bears were in the camp ground we took Gu's off. Good thing as in the morning, the camp ground across the street had a bear attack it's cooler and not much was left in it. Would have hated to have no bike left.

Had a light breakfast of banana, peanut butter - some hoorible Kashi cereal that I just couldn't choke down and water. Took bike down early and got positioned right out of water with bike racks. Otherwise just hung out listen to Booty and her complaints - see her RR for her issues!
Event warmup:

Light stretching
Swim
  • 20m 36s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man the course looked long. I still think it was much longer then tehy say. It was to be a 1/2 mile but I think it was more along the lines of 2/3 miles.

the first leg started out ok, stroke stroke breath, stroke stroke breath. No problem. But then panic set in.... 1/2 way to first buoy I couldn't breath. I don't know what really happened, other then goggles fogged up and maybe that aided the panic. So I settled into my breast stroke and things calmed down. I reverted back to free occasionally for a bit but ended up breast stroking most of it. I kept with the pack and even passed a few people. I caught the men's group who started 5 minutes earlier. Overall, not thrilled with performance.
What would you do differently?:

Calm down more during swim, settle into stroke pattern sooner and not have goggles fog up on me.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was not timed, but I'd say poor tranition. I could NOT for my life get the socks on. As I got to bike, Booty was taking off so she had 2 minutes on me. I think this added to my panic to get out there so I did not take time to get socks on. BIG FIRST MISTAKE!!!

take time to put socks on.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 22s
  • 19 miles
  • 15.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Mistake #2... thinking I wouldn't need my inhalers since I hadn't needed them while in Michigan for last 3 weeks.

I had a tough time getting breath from water panic. I kept trying to channel my inner self repeating over and over, slide back, breath relax become one with bike breath.... It didn't help. I'd say 1/4 - 1/3 way into course i found a breath I could work with and just kept going. I would sing what Izzy says, "GO, GO, Go" or my version of "just keep going, going, going, Just keep going going"... I think at one point I was singing out loud and the person in back of me heard me and laughed...

By the mid way point I saw Booty she was about 4 minuters ahead. Felt ok on my position realitive compared to hers.

On leg back in, this young kid (13-15 yrs. old) was pacing with me and we kept changing positions but on the long hill up he flew by me. I'm thinking how in the he-- did he do that? but as we crested the hill I kicked it in and flew right by him and into town - but on the last small up - not even hill - he flew by again and I didn't get to pass him again, I had given the last pass all I had and couldn't give more.

I have to say this being my 2nd TRI, I rocked the bike! I knew my gears, I kept a steady pace and managed to not fall, crash or injure myself! Very happy with my performance!

Not much! Feel good with my performance and left it out there on the course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not timed but wish I would have tried the socks again though!!!!!
Run
  • 1h 10m 19s
  • 5 miles
  • 14m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I had to run Booty down. Got going after walking to get legs back and just kept moving hoping I'd catch her. about 2 miles in my feet were killing me. I knew I had massive blisters and they just plain and simple hurt. At the turn around, I caught Booty. We walked a bit and we were both spent. We had a pack that if we were DFL we would cross together and we kept the pack now. We ran walked the rest of the way together crossing ling at 2:42:19:09 ME and 2:42:19:10 her. So int he end I did beat her! I kicked Booty's butt!!!! hahahahaha

WEAR SOCKS regardless of how much time it took in transition to put them on. i really believe if I had socks on I would have left Booty eating my dust!!! We'll live to race again and that time I'll fight to get the socks on.

Post race
Warm down:

walked, talked, felt sick as all get out. Tried eating and felt like I'd throw up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not having socks on for bike and run!

Event comments:

A few concerns with race: anyone and their brother were allowed into transition area. When I finished unknown non racers where standing by my bike area. Finish line had onlookers at end and my parents couldn't get pictures of Booty and I crossing together. Also lots of pacing and group riding on course - fortunately I'm not that fast so it didn't affect me but it was a dangerous situation. Also, I saw manay people on run course wearing Ipods. Granted this was not a sanctioned USAT event but the rules should be followed in all races regardless to educate it's participants on what is expected of racers at events. I found it odd that the race director would post race email everyone about USAT rules with regards to the bike but not the run.

over all though a good race and I'd do it again if I go back to the UP.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:36 | 880 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/19
Overall: 0/70
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: 3 leg buoy... but this course looked longer then 1/2 mile!!! it took forever to get to first buoy!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:22 | 19 miles | 15.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/19
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 9+ mile out and back course. For a girl from flat Houston, tough course. Ends in a long hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:19 | 05 miles | 14m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/19
Performance: Below average
Course: Gravel, macadem, dirt road... small hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: Keweenaw Memorial Copperman Triathlon

2007-08-12 3:22 PM
in reply to: #922728

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Keweenaw Memorial Copperman Triathlon

wear the socks!  practice putting socks on after every shower!

2007-08-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: #922728

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keweenaw Memorial Copperman Triathlon Rss Feed