General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes for pedals with clips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-13 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Bike shoes for pedals with clips?

This may come as a shock, but I find myself in need of replacing my 15 year old bike shoes as the sole is starting to come apart from the upper.  I only have one bike (an old steel frame touring bike) and that's the way it is going to be for awhile.  This bike serves as my commuter, my going to the grocery store bike, my long ride tour bike.  I really don't want to go clipless because I like the flexibility of being able to hop off my bike and walk around a store or down a trail or wherever.  BUT I do find stiff soled bike shoes much more comfortable then biking in sneakers.

So since I haven't bought shoes in 15 years, I'm sure there are some changes.  Will any bike shoe work on regular pedals?  Are there some styles that will work better than others?  If any bike shoe would work, I was thinking about getting triathlon shoes so that I don't have to buy more than one pair if I am able to compete again in the future.  Right now, I don't want to invest a lot in triathlon gear because I might have to give up running.  I don't think that is going to happen, but it might.

So I am open to bike shoe suggestions?

2007-08-13 8:32 AM
in reply to: #923267

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Bike shoes for pedals with clips?
I think I am answering my own question. I found some "touring" type shoes.   Regular laces, but I don't see why I couldn't add Yankz like my running shoes.  They have some tread on them which I think would handle regular pedals better than road shoes.  thanks for listening!  LOL!
2007-08-13 4:07 PM
in reply to: #923267

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Bike shoes for pedals with clips?

That is what I was going to suggest.  Some lace up, softer soled MTB/Touring shoes would work well.   These usually also can use a recessed SPD cleat, so you could go clipless and still walk around with them.   Pricepoint had some decent Wellgo SPD road pedals I was using for a while that would work well.   They were less than $30.  

Edited by tkbslc 2007-08-13 4:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes for pedals with clips? Rss Feed