General Discussion Race Reports! » LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 3s
Overall Rank = 2690/8720
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 381/740
Pre-race routine:

Drove out Thursday evening to stay at sjschafer.
Woke at 2:30 AM to the sound of crashing patio table. This was unplanned mind you. A thunderstorm came out of no where with strong gusts of wind. The crashing table broke the umbrella. It was bent up pretty good. At 2:30 in the morning, the only thing I was thinking of was to minimize the damage. Sjlschafer and I flipped the table over to prevent it from flipping again. We unhooked the umbrella canvas and left it in the yard till we returned from the race. I had a little difficulty falling back asleep and got up to surf the web. I think I went back to bed at 3:15 AM or so.
The alarm went off at 4:30 AM. UGGG! Got dressed and went downstairs. Ate oatmeal and a cup of JOE before leaving. Left the house at 5:00 AM. Ate a banana and sipped on some Accelerade during the drive down.
Event warmup:

We took a different route to the race and got right into a parking garage. Last year we were stuck in a line of traffic to park. Nice find by sjlschafer. We arrived about 40-45 minutes before the start of the race. Plently of time to use the potty and strech.
Run
  • 1h 58m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

First part of the run was great. I think we were at mile 7 at 61 minutes. I was right on schedule feeling good. However I had to use the potty again. I made one along the route. This I believe is when I started to fall apart. Standing still for a minute or two probably wasn't the right thing to do. I started slowing down a bit. During the run along the lake, I started walking 30-60 seconds after each aid station. The run out to the planetarium and back was rough for me. I struggled mentally to stay focused.
What would you do differently?:

This was the first time in my years (4) of racing that I had to use the potty during the race. I keep trying to fiugre out why. Nutrition and hydration were no different than years past. The one thing I know that was different was were I pinned by gel packs. I pinned them on the front of my race belt. I believe the constant pounding of them against my bladder wasn't a good thing.

I also know I did not train nearly as much as I should have. My international travels in early June and July hampered training. Plus, transferring to a new accout for work also didn't help. I know these are simply excuses I am making. Another thing working against me was my half in April. I did not train/run for a whole month prior and ran about 1:53.
Post race
Warm down:

I took a wet towel, bottle of water, bagel, and banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, heat and huimidity. But mostly, training.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 381/740
Overall: 2690/8720
Performance: Below average
Course: Copied from sjlschafer's race report... Similar to last year, I think the end was changed a little. Wind through the city for about the first 4 miles, then down past Soldier Field and McCormick place, turn around an run up the lakefront to Planetarium and behind Shedd's.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 9:07 AM

User image

Shelby Township, MI
Subject: LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic Rss Feed