YMCA St. Louis
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 6s
Overall Rank = 17/178
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

I woke up (at 4AM) took a shower, ate 2 waffles and put my bag in my car and drove the 2 hours to St Louis where the tri was. I got there a little before 6:30 and I picked up my packet. I walked around and then went back to the car and got my bike and headed to transition. The parking lot was about a mile away from transition area, so that was kind of annoying, but it wasnt that bad. My wave for the swim start wasnt until 8:40 so i had plenty of time to kill. I ran into Brandon (getsome) and we talk off and on throughout the morning. It was nice meeting him. I was getting hunger about 8AM so I at a granola bar and a couple of peanut butter crackers. I watch a few of the earlier swim waves. They were running 4 people per lane in 50 yard pool. It was interesting, but it seemed to be working pretty well.
Event warmup:

I ran about 1/2 mile and stretched well. I was a bit sore still from my run on friday (stupid treadmill) so I was sure to stretch well. Thats about it
Swim
  • 09m
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were 3 people (including me) in my lane and I was in lane six. Before we started we 3 discussed our swim times and decided who would lead out and who would follow. To my surprise, I was the fastest swimmer in my lane. So I lead the whole way. I did feel one tap on my foot about halfway through but I just sped up and checked at the next wall and there was noone even close, so i just kept going. The swim went pretty well for me. I decided about halfway through that I was going to breathe all on the right instead of my normal bilateral breathing. I dont know that it helped any, but it seemed to calm me down a bit. There were no splits, so I have no idea of rank. But i would assume that 9:00 would be middle to back of my age group and middle of the overall.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it went pretty well for me. I am not that fast at swimming, but i was confident and relaxed through most of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I dont really have time I didnt look at my watch as I mounted the bike. I had little bit of trouble getting on the bike, but it could have been worse.

I need to practice T1 alot. I just need to get used to jumping on a moving bike and i would still like to work on having the shoes attached to the bike
Bike
  • 41m
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

So i was told that this course was hilly, but i really didnt know what it expect. In Mid-Missouri there are plenty of hills that I ride all the time. So I didnt think this would be all that bad. Even when i started the bike, i didnt think it was bad because there were a few rolling hills. Then I hit THE BEAST!!!! The Beast is about 1 mile long and has to be about 300 feet of climbing. (that is a total guess, it could be more or maybe less) I came into it going about 25mph and in about 20 feet i was out of the saddle pumping out about 8mph. The first time i thought i wasnt going to make it, then i realized i had to do it 2 more times. I mashed it out and was then rewarded with a 50mph descent on the other side of the park. That is the fastest i have every gone on my bike, and it was a bit scary the first time. By third lap I was comfortable with the hill and with the descent. I passed quite a few people on the bike. I got to a point where it was just me and one other guy going back and forth. I think that we were leading our wave off the bike, so that was pretty cool that I made up for my mediocre swimming ability. Time includes T1

nothing, it was pretty good
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

again no split, but overall it was pretty good. I got my feet out of the shoes, but i need to work on the dismount

work on dismount
Run
  • 18m 6s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with a good pace and passed a few people (and also got passed by a couple) The course was good until you got to the huge hill. Just before the turnaround, there was a huge hill was probably about 1/4 mile long and had 100 or so ft of climbing. I stopped at the top for a second and drank a cup of water, then i continued. By this point of the day, it was easily 90 degrees and after the hill was the only time i felt hot. I regret stopping because this allow the guy that I had raced with on the bike to catch up to me about a 1/2 mile later and end up beating me by three seconds. Those 3 seconds would have also raised my overall stands by about 4 places which would have put me well into the top 15. Oh well, live and learn. Advertised course was 2.8 miles, but someone with a garmin had it at 2.1 so i am going with 2.1 because i know i cant run 6 minute miles!!!

Dont Stop!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Did a cool down jog with Brandon (getsome) and drank a couple of glasses of Heed and some water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness level. I feel strong, but I am still about 5lbs up from where i was at the end of June (thanks to 3 vacations in 2 months) and still 15lbs from my goal weight. Right now its a balancing act between having enough energy and fluids to do my workouts and having enough of a calorie defecit to lose weight. Right now, i am not doing a good job at balancing it.

Event comments:

Nothing special. The stars of the show were the hills. I wish the advertised course length was accurate. I would probably do this one again for the good hill workout

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 500 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/178
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 yard outdoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:00 | 12.5 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 3 lap course around Babler State Park. More to come in comments section
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:06 | 02.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Through a field, along a path and up a huge hill and then back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Babler Beast Triathlon

2007-08-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #923436

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Babler Beast Triathlon

Nicely done, Josh.  You had an awesome race, and have the hardware to prove it.  The BEAST is a hill I won't soon forget.  But that descent was SO worth it. 

Good to meet you out there, man!

B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Babler Beast Triathlon Rss Feed