Leaping Dog Racing
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 53s
Overall Rank = 93/295
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 15/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up had weetabix and 1L of Fruit Punch gatorade. Stopped at Tim's for a coffee because I knew it was a long drive and a long wait for the race.
Event warmup:

NONE! Chatted with some friends before the race, waited in transition area to cheer on the earleir swim heat people.
Swim
  • 10m 53s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was just fine... a little slower than I thought I would be, but not over the top or anything.
What would you do differently?:

Train a little more, I haven't been swimming at all lately... in fact, I haven't been in the pool since my race in July!
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I still use my mountain bike shoes that I have to tie up... so I can't use the shoe in pedal technique. Also with my back troubles, I am way to dizzy to stand up and put my shoes on. I have to use the bucket still. I also had a gel... not because I really need one for this distance, but by the time I got in the pool, my breakfast was 4.5 hours ago.

Nothing special, I probably could have hustled out of the pool a little faster and run a little faster to get going.
Bike
  • 44m
  • 20 kms
  • 27.27 km/hr
Comments:

This was really a good ride for me, and I was really pleased with my results in the overall bike standings. Once again, I did no training in a couple weeks and following my back injury I was concerned about riding in aero, but everything seemed to pan out nicely.

Nothing too much - I am very satisified with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I came to a dead stop on the bike to get off. Silly. Talk about slowing one's momentum. I had a better rack except someone racked their bike in my spot... a volunteer came and moved it though which was really nice. Then I started to leave with my helemt on. I was about 3 racks away when someone told me... I ran back to get rid of it.

Take off helmet.
Run
  • 36m
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 12s  min/km
Comments:

This is still my weakest event. I really struggle to maintain a good pace. I just try to stay comfortable. Also, by the time the run starts, I am so poor at hydrating, I have nothing left. I stopped at both water stations and forced myself to drink a glass of water. I ran with the mantra... "I can keep this pace"... I just need to train harder in the run. This race was no different from others though... I just haven't created a race pace for my run yet. I have the same training pace as racing.

Hurry Up??
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little, drank a ton of water, ate some lasagna.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from an injury probably didn't help anything, but I ironically still had a PB in this race.

Event comments:

This was my best race to date. It was my fastest race and I enjoyed the whole event. I had some friends with me and I really appreciated the camaraderie that was there. It almost made me want to start training with the group again.

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:53 | 500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/32
Overall: 50/295
Performance: Average
Had an end lane in the pool, it had an overhanging slide which I totally smacked my hand on. Cut my knuckle pretty badly. Felt pretty good on the swim, I was well seeded with the 4 other people in my lane... no lapping at all.
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Pool Swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:00 | 20 kms | 27.27 km/hr
Age Group: 6/32
Overall: 38/295
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back... almost totally downhill on the way out... I passed about 10 other people. That was exciting. I had a really good ride. I felt great and pushed it on the way back... although the ride out was much faster...
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 70
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:36:00 | 05 kms | 07m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 31/32
Overall: 194/295
I think during the run I maxed out my HR at 199. I don't recall feeling out of breath at all... I run at a very comfortable pace most of the time.
Course: Flat and nice.. but little shade, so by the time I was finishing, the sun was pretty hot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes