Kennekuk
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 161/245
Age Group = Open Male
Age Group Rank = 31/42
Pre-race routine:

Ate 2 bagels. Took a few pictures and just relaxed and had fun.
Event warmup:

none
Run
  • 8h 00m
  • 27.32 miles
  • 17m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started well. I started a little too fast but I got to run with my friends for about the first mile. Shortly after halfway water stop I see my friend running past me in a dead run. Turns out about 1/4 mile ahead of me a guy just collapsed on the course which was little over 2 miles into the race. Lucky for the guy my friend who is a nurse was right there when it happened and he got care right away. EMT who was also running was there shortly. They gave the guy CPR for 20 minutes before the Ambulance got there. Sad thing is the first truck to it there was delayed because of a running wearing headphone on the course. Because of the delays in help me did not make it though.

My knee started bothering after the end of the second loop. I kept reminding myself to have a high cadence while I walk/ran. I mostly walked at a 15 min pace. On the start of 6th lap I took ibuprofen to keep the knee pain away. Around mile 20 I sat down with my friend for a second and was talking to her. I thought maybe she would walk when she started but she took off running. I spent many laps with my ex running partner Lora. I did about 4 laps of the race with her. She was falling behind though and 7th lap she caught up but spend too much time in the water stop to continue with me. She would also take a break after each lap while I just keep on shuffling along. I got back just in time for the start of the out and backs. I was able to get 2 of them in. I might been able to get in 3 but with my knee at a dangerous point I decided 27.32 was just as good as 27.82 miles. Both are ultras marathons technically so there was no point in risky injury.

The heat really did get to me. It had a high of 94 degrees. On my final 2 laps I was really struggling up the only hill they have which was pretty steep. My HIMs were a big help because I got used to running tired in the heat.

I stopped with about 6 minutes on the clock. I could have ran to get the last half mile in but honestly it was not worth it to me.

What would you do differently?:

streching more weeks before so my knee would not been bothing me would have helped alot. A training run over 13 miles would been useful also.

My hydration satergery was lost because I did not have a scoop for the powder
Post race
Warm down:

I did a little streching, showered and ate fried chicken. I had couple of beers and watching my friends win awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was the main thing, and the guy dying on the course. Heat was the main thing because I do not do well in the heat.

Event comments:

I liked the race. I will come back next year for my 3rd year in a row.

Last updated: 2007-08-12 12:00 AM
Running
08:00:00 | 27.32 miles | 17m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/42
Overall: 161/245
Performance: Good
Course: 3.29 mile of trails on varies surfaces. last 30 minutes 1/2 mile out and backs.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes