Prince Albert Triathlon Club
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 02m 28s
Overall Rank = 93/147
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45am. Had some toast, peanut butter and jam with Pat Stewart in Candle Lake. Rode over a horrendous pot holed road for an hour or so to get to the race but it was a lot shorter that way. Woke you up for sure. Got to the race racked the bikes and then just hung around.
Event warmup:

Nothing special, just chatted it up and flexed the arms a bit here and there.
Swim
  • 38m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Stayed at the back with Pat Stewart. This was her first long course race and once she saw the buoys she was a wreck. Talked her down as best as I could. It was a mass start, no issues. Towards the 1st buoy we started to spread out so I dropped in behind someone and drafted. At the buoy turn around I started to draft on three others but eventually realized I was faster than them so went around and passed. I could see I was between the lead swimmers and the slower swimmers so pretty well had a large open space with only a few swimmers here and there. Figured what the heck just settled in, no one to draft on, and practiced my stroke. Nothing better to do. Turned the other buoy and headed for the T. After the T turn swam until I grabbed sand. Best 1500 to date, cut 4 minutes off my Chinook time.
What would you do differently?:

It's probably time to start around mid pack in the smaller races. Had I done so I could have drafted off a faster swimmer and gained a little time. My fear was the kicking and thrashing in the mass start but hell I think I'm ready to duke it out with the rest of them.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I debated whether to go without socks on the bike and then put them on, didn't take that long and saved me some time at the run transition.

They were supposed to have strippers but I just made a B line for the bike and did it on my own. No problem, remembered to stand this time and kick it down with my feet at the ankles. I had lots of glide around the ankles so it came off easy.
Should have paid attention.
Bike
  • 2h 09m 52s
  • 62 kms
  • 28.64 km/hr
Comments:

This was to be the big experiment in the small ring. I started out using it and maintained it for about the first third of the race. This is just not my baby, too dam slow for me and way to much shifting to do. Switched to the big ring, kept the cadence at about 95 using mostly a 21 -27 gear range. I ride a Cevelo P3 aluminum and am finally starting to learn what its strengths and weaknesses are. It's not a climber but flies on on the downs. Ride it hard on the downhills moving to an 13 or 11 and you just fly past the other racers. Go easy coming back up the hills and then stand it out till you are just about over the crest and do her all over again. The turbulence from the cut out only kicks in at 25k and then acts like a turbo charger from there. Man that is fun, just psyches the other racers out as you pass them pretty hard.
I used concentrated Glyco Carb in one bottle and then just squirted it into my water Profile bottle as needed. Took a gel every 30 mintues. Used about 1.5 bottles of Gator Aid. They never had water bottles at the turnaround so had to stop and fill up the Profile bottle with cups losing a little time. At the 50k point I wanted to pee and contemplated doing it on the bike but thought I can wait till the run. Never tried it although I hear its done often enough.
I played tag with another cyclist in my age group pretty well the whole race. As we got near the last quarter I was feeling a pretty comfortable and dropped him.
Passed a ton of racers and had a blast the last 2/3.

Not much, just need more experience.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 14m 7s
  • 13 kms
  • 05m 42s  min/km
Comments:

Waited until I was out of town and we hit a few bushes so I could finally pee. Seemed like it took forever so I knew I drank well on the bike. The rider I played tag with on the bike caught up as I noticed he was ahead of me again when I was done. I felt good, the stride was long so just hunkered in and slowly worked on catching him. He kept looking back to see where I was so I knew I had him (I have learned there is no point in looking back, that's only history). After awhile I could see him walk here and there; caught him and said good job man; kept on moving. Just before the turn around I ran saw another Regina runner who always beats me; he was walking; same thing chatted a bit of encouragement and moved on. Met two other racers from Regina before the turn and could see they looked tired. Hmmm, encouraged them on and thought I might catch them both. At about two thirds caught one. His comment, I wondered when you were going to catch me. Laughed and said I would meet him later. Ran into Pat and she said the other racer was not too far ahead. Caught her with about 3k left, she had stopped at a water station. Cheered her on and headed in. With about 2k left I had one more runner left in sight and started to go real hard but she was doing the same. Never caught her but had a hell of a finish.
I used 3 gels during the run, never did that before. No Gator Aid, just water to wash them down and refresh myself. Walked only to take in the water and kept moving at a good clip.
The stide was long and the knees were high the whole time.

Nothing, finally a run without everyone passing me. Best run in a tri yet. I'm happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, ate a lot of fruit and a few cookies. Chatted it up with everyone waiting for Pat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, just need more races for the experience.

Event comments:

This is a small community in Northern Saskatchewan that does one hell of a job. The terrain is breathtaking. If you get a chance to do this one, do it, it sells out early.
Thank you to everyone who organized the race *** AWESOME ***

Last updated: 2007-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 0/147
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca
Course: A T course, one loop out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:09:52 | 62 kms | 28.64 km/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Wind: Some
Course: It was fairly flat with an slight upgrade to start and then rolling hills for most of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:07 | 13 kms | 05m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 8/13
Course: A fairly flat course out and back. Aid stations were about 1.5k apart.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 9:24 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon

2007-08-13 10:13 PM
in reply to: #924635

User image

Subject: RE: Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon
Congrats on a good race! I'm sure we passed somewhere on the way, so I hope I said "hi".
2007-08-13 11:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Nice Race.   Good prep for IMC.
2007-08-14 4:58 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

Great race there SPEEDY!  Your progression in the sport is an inspiration!!!  KEEP ON ROCKIN'..........Next up.....IRONMAN!

2007-08-14 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great job John.  It sounds like this race was a great motivator for the next.  Good luck at IMC.
2007-08-17 6:24 AM

User image

Winnipeg
awesome fishing story....how you kept on catching your next fish! you're a machine john! unstoppable. cant wait to cheer you on in penticton.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frank Dunn Toyota Triathlon Rss Feed