B&S Fitness Programs
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 9s
Overall Rank = 64/75
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:20, ate a bowl of plain oatmeal around 6:30, and took public transportation from Boston to Salem, arriving at 8:30am. Sat around until 9:30, registered. Sat/stood around until 10:00, then stripped down to my swimsuit.
Event warmup:

Got wet. Panicked. Swam maybe 10 strokes, treaded water, went back to beach.
Swim
  • 37m 9s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the closest I have EVER come to dropping out of a race before it even started!!! The water was SO COLD, I cannot express how detrimental not having a wetsuit was to my morale, which was already low do to the fact that I knew that I'd be finishing in the bottom five of the 1-milers. (That's ok. I just swim much, much slower than I bike and run.) I tried to get my head in the water for a warm up, but it was so cold, I couldn't breathe... couldn't calm down. I told myself that my new goal was to START the race. And I did.

Then I got about 200 yards out, and I was laughing at myself. I could handle it, I wasn't swimming alone, I was sighting well (only on the first leg) and I had a great rhythm down.

My face, hands, and legs went numb. I realized at about half way that I had stopped kicking, who knows how long before that. I had trouble getting my fingers to make cups. So I focused on my rotation and sighting.

This race was a great course-- needs a wetsuit!!! (Although others braved the water without them.)-- and I had a lot of fun once I overcame my initial panic and feelings of unpreparedness.

I was #32
What would you do differently?:

WEAR A WETSUIT and get clear goggles to make sighting easier. I honestly feel like I swam at least 2000 yards because I couldn't maintain the correct attitude in the water.

This was probably not my race pace; I definitely swam reserved. As always, I would push harder if I could do it differently.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Gatorade, water, and granola bars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nervousness, maybe the cold.

Event comments:

Small race (150 swimmers? This includes the 2-milers) but good attitude! They had a variety of sponsors giving out all sorts of things --massages, pizza, drinks, cookies-- and the shirts are good. ;)

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:09 | 1760 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 64/75
Performance: Below average
I swam zig-zagging quite a bit since the buoys were hard to see because there were so many other swimers, and because the bright orange buoys are the exact brown of the breaker rocks through my blue goggles.
Suit: NONE!
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle, sides of more-or-less equal length. Mass beach swim start. Running onto beach finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok