Loudoun County YMCA
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 4s
Overall Rank = 288/293
Age Group = 22 - 32
Age Group Rank = 129/130
Pre-race routine:

Didn't drink enough water prior to the race. Definately didn't eat enough either. I felt both by the half way.
Event warmup:

Walk from the parking garage to the race area. Did some stretching and more walking around the vendors.
Run
  • 1h 37m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 15m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

FINISHED MY FIRST 10K!!!!
The start of this race was very difficult for me. I felt very heavy and sluggish up until about the 2nd mile. Once I hit the first water station I made the mistake of drinking way to much Gatorade which upset my stomach for the next almost 2 miles. My legs felt great but I was having a little trouble controlling my breathing. Had to slow to a walk more times than I had planned to get it under control. The second half of the race seemed to fly by and if they had someone calling the times (or I remembered my watch haha) I'm sure I had a great split! Crossing the finish line was the best feeling ever! Had some friends there yelling my name and that definately gave me the extra motivation to pick it up crossing the finish line! Can't wait for my next race!
What would you do differently?:

Get more sleep the night before. HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! Had a side cramp for a short time after mile 2 and I'm positive it had to do with hydration. Also eat a little more, think I was lacking on energy at the start of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the vendor areas, grabbed some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight is still definately an issue as far as my time goes. The more I lose the faster I will be :)

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:04 | 06.2 miles | 15m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/130
Overall: 288/293
Performance: Average
Course: Course was great!! Mostly on a paved bike trail which was very shaded and flat with the exception of a few small hills. Very nice course, street crossings and water stations were worked very well! Excellent volunteers!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-14 11:05 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: Loudoun YMCA Leesburg 10k

2007-08-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #925266

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Loudoun YMCA Leesburg 10k
Well I figured I should finally stop being a slacker and read your race report.  I'm so proud of you for doing a 10k!  You've come sooooo far with your running!  Reading your race report makes me want to do one, though it still just sounds so intimidating!  Congrats on a great race and all the amazing progress you've made!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loudoun YMCA Leesburg 10k Rss Feed