General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking!!! (Water, that is) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-26 8:08 AM

Regular
Colorado
Subject: Drinking!!! (Water, that is)
Anyone else out there have a tremendously hard time drinking water? I can do a hard am workout, and have less than 1 L of water all day. I just don't get thirsty and I just don't much care for water. I know I need a LOT more than 1 L per day, living in dry sunny Colorado, but need some tricks to help me up my drinking! All help appreciated!
Kim

2004-01-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4970

Subject: RE: Drinking!!! (Water, that is)
Thirst should not be the reason to drink -- by that time you are already dehydrated. I don't mind drinking water -- I simply forget to do it. So I make sure I have fresh water at my desk (some people really like to have a beautiful glass to drink from and this entices them to drink, a water bottle is fine for me). Something that might make water a bit more palatable for you could be a slice of fresh lemon squeezed into it. I find that refreshing at times. I personally don't like my water too chilled, but some do, so you could keep some in the fridge for when your desktop stuff gets too warm.

I guess overall, --- Just Do It.

Nancy
2004-01-26 8:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Decaf iced tea works just as well. Make sure it is decaf though. I drink a lot of tea and it works for me.
2004-01-26 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I carry a water bottle with me at all times. I just keep refilling it. A few years ago, water gave me stomach aches and I could hardly drink it. I started squeezing a little lemon in it and that helped me. I now drink at least a gallon a day when training. I have 6 meals a day and I make sure I have at least 2 cups (one bottle) before and/or during each meal and 4cups for some that keep me drinking enough. Also, if you drink coffee or soda, then you need to drink more. Caffeine is a diuretic. A good indicator is urine. If too yellow, then not enough water and no color means too much water. It should just be slightly colored.

Edited by cameronw 2004-01-26 8:47 AM
2004-01-26 8:49 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
I don't if this sounds wierd or not, but for me its all about the water. I think water from different sources have different tastes to them.

For me I know that I can't drink tap water, to me its disgusting.

I love purified water, distilled water, volcanic bottled water, and other clean tasting bottled water.
I really can't stand spring water either. Call me weird, but I love water from the right source. And I'm able to drink a ton of it. Its even helped me in my great reduction of drinking soda and barley pops.

Hope this helps.
2004-01-26 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
That's not weird at all. Where I live we have terrible water. I have installed an RO water system. We can't drink tap water anymore either. That was an excellent point that I had forgotten about. The RO water did make it much easier to drink.

2004-01-26 2:27 PM

SoCal
At the risk of sounding dopey, I don't like drinking water all day long because I hate having to run to the bathroom to pee 10x a day while at work. :-O
2004-01-26 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5039

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
now that's my problem as well. TB (tiny bladder) if I don't quit drinking water .....ohhhh....about NOW for the night, I'll be up 3 or 4 times during the night. Never mind the dozen trips during the day because I do drink a lot of water. A cup of coffee in the morning, a glass of water with breakfast, and I need a pit stop on my 1 hour commute.

I know.....too much information!

2004-01-26 5:22 PM

Regular
Colorado
It's nice to hear the mixture of responses and water drinking techniques! I keep a 5 gallon jug of water on my desk and fill my liter bottle every morning, I just forget to actually drink it! I now have some coworkers stopping by my desk periodically to remind me to drink! Today I did 2 liters which is max effort for me! Just do it! is appropriate advice and I shall keep trying as I think my performance will improve and my aches will decrease with greater hydration!
2004-01-26 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
When I don't feel like water, I get some powder drink mix. If it tastes good, I will drink more. You know you are drinking enough when your pee is nice and clear. If you are peeing every ten minutes, that might be to much. If you aren't drinking water, you will start to retain water and not use it as needed.

I take a half gallon growler full of gatorade to work everyday. If I forget, I can get a big bottle of Hawian Punch at the dollar store.
2004-01-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5049

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
When I am trying to get into drinking water I pick up some fruit 2O. The flavors make it taste like your treating yourself to something special. Do be carefull, some flavors carry caffine. I regards to trips to the "neccessary" I have found that when I start to drink more water per day(ie more in the summer) my visits become more frequent for awhile. After a short aclimation period my body adjusts to the increase of fluids.

Joe

2004-01-26 9:01 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
We get Aqualicious water to be dispensed in our house. It's not expensive, and the city water sucks. Myself, my wife and my son, so it's money well spent.

As a teacher, I'm talking all day, so I get thirsty. If I drinkk soda, I just get thirstier (a salt-based liquid designed to quench thirst ... a brilliant money-making scam). We have water bottles that we refill and take to work.

I don't get thirsty when exercising. I'll take a sip more to rinse away the "horsespit" than to refresh. But, once I'm done, I'll down a liter of water in 2 long gulps, and then refill it and sip the other one.

If most of your urinations are clear, then you're hydrated. If you eat a lot of protein, like I do, then water is a necessity.

2 words for those that "don't like water": Kidney Stones. Let me know how much fun those are. I understand they're a common problem with triathletes. Tim DeBoom comes to mind.
2004-01-27 8:07 AM

Regular
Colorado
ooof. ok, you got me on the kidney stones reality. My dad has had them and NO FUN! I enjoy the flavored drinks, selzers etc... but want to stay away from the sugary ones and the aspartame. I haven't heard of Fruit 20 but I'll look into it. Sounds like it might be a good alternative to plain H20.

Edited by kimber 2004-01-27 8:09 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking!!! (Water, that is) Rss Feed