Enviro-Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 6:30, and ate a toasted raisin bagel with peanut butter on the way up. Since the race wasn't going to start until at least 9am, I figured that amount of solid food wasn't going to be a problem (and indeed, it wasn't). Sipped on about 18 ounces of diluted Gatorade, and was feeling pretty hydrated (had to hit the bathroom before we got on the ferry). Kept working on the Gatorade until I ran out shortly before the race started.
Event warmup:

Just a few hundred yards of brisk jogging, followed by a bit of stretching.
Run
  • 2h 58m 4s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm really pleased with this run. I didn't feel great starting out, but I ran all of the hills (with one exception, when I was eating a gel) and only stopped/walked to let faster runners pass me. I don't know what the total amount of climbing was, but it's nearly 800 feet elevation gain to the top of the mountain, and although we didn't quite run to the summit, the course had a lot of up and down--and we did the course twice! But I kept my mental game and pushed on up the hills, as slowly as I needed to. I also found a groove for most of the flat/downhill sections and just let my legs run while my mind wandered.

And I didn't finish last! Hooray!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing--I'm pretty happy with it!
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking, some stretching, and a bit of dipping our feet/legs in the bay. :) Oh, and about 16 ounces of Accelerade, a few sips of Coke, and several ounces of chocolate milk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills! But not much else--and there's not really anything you can do to change hills. :)

Event comments:

The banana bread was a nice change from the usual post-race snacks, but it would have been nice if they'd kept the food out longer.

Last updated: 2007-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:58:04 | 15.53 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
First lap ~1h32 min (11:51/mile), 2nd lap 1hr26min (11:05/mile). Yay! Faster on the second lap! Oddly enough, my legs actually felt better at the start of the second lap than they did at the start of the first. And toward the end I wasn't holding back the way I was at the end of the first lap. Still, I'm surprised I managed to go faster on the second lap. Ate gels at 0h58min, 1h35min, and 2h14h17. Fairly evenly spaced, I guess! Didn't feel like I needed any more.
Course: Hilly!!! Dirt trail for the most part, with some gravel segments. It alternated between hiking trails and a dirt fire road. The course was uphill for the first 20-25 minutes, leveled off for a while, and then had another significant uphill section before going largely downhill for the rest. Two laps of the same course. The scenery was <strong>gorgeous</strong>. I've gotten pretty lucky in terms of the views and such for my last couple of long runs. My last long run was in Whistler, which was beautiful, but in a different way. This was classic Bay Laurel, California Buckeye, Live Oak, etc. woods (lots of poison oak!) alternating with the dry, open chaparral that's so common around here. And the views were <strong>spectacular</strong>. We ran all the way around the island, often at different elevations. At one point we could see the entirety of the Bay Bridge, all of SF, and all of the Golden Gate (part of which was obscured by fog)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No